Thread: Chiricahua Mountains mantids

Default Chiricahua Mountains mantids

I mentioned these in another thread. At least somethings aren't inactive right now.

I collected an eggsac which hatched two Fridays ago. Something between 60-70 hatched, 63 survived, and after a few more deaths, I've housed 59 of them. It sure is fun feeding all these things...

Some are starting to look kind of interesting.

Largest, reddest one I found.

And the vials

The Chiricahua Mts. are an area in western AZ. It's one of the more varied environments here, going from a desert all the way to a chilly mountaintop that gets snow.

So very cool!! We found a green mantis in our yard and since then she's left 2 egg sacs. How did you harvest them without destroying them?

Quote Originally Posted by greentriple
    So very cool!! We found a green mantis in our yard and since then she's left 2 egg sacs. How did you harvest them without destroying them?
    I broke off the twig they were plastered on at two points. That's about it. It's probably impossible to get eggcases off of walls without ruining them though. I've tried with the ones in my yard, and the things won't budge.

I live in Mesa!!! woot woot!

They've all pretty much molted. I think around 30 are alive now and are in stable health.

Those are some cool pictures.
    Greentriple I don't want to offend your wife but are the babies ( when they hatch ) food for your Tegu ?