Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Claws???

I'm amazed that this issue has created such an issue.

Brat, interesting point, but not a good question. There could be many reasons why he does it, He could be right but then he could be wrong. Being the second or even the first largest breeder of an animal does not make your husbandry correct, although it's a good indication that you may know what you're talking about.

As for the nature/captivity discussion. Let's get real people, these are captive bred, captive raised and captive period animals. Clip their nails, don't clip their nails, whatever. Just remember we each have a responsibility to properly care for our captive animals.

I would think that if they are sharp to where they scratch you, trim them. If you have rocks or so on that wear them down, don't.

Just because they are worn in nature they don't necessarily get worn in captivity. I have a grassy back yard and every once in a while, the dogs get their nails trimmed because the grass doesn't wear them like concrete would.

Bobby knows a lot of stuff, but when I had a conversation with him on another board asking for the scientific differences between vitamins created by UV and those that are sold as powder, what I wanted was some scientific background. I told him my quest was scientific and that I had no problem using UV light but instead of a scientific discussion he told me to with hold care until my lizard died and I would have proof.

As I said, he knows a lot of stuff, but take everything in life with a grain of salt.

I think it would be ok to trim just the tips.I have to do that on my dogs and also on some birds that I used to have.I did use the sand paper thing that goes on the branch in the birdcage but the nails still grew to long and started to curl up so I started to trim them.I did had to put some kind of ointment on the tips after I cut them so they wouldn't get infected.With the Tegus I do have some natural rocks in there tank but the nails are still very sharp.I put on a sweatshirt ( Hoody ) before I handle them.I let them clime all over me but when they find a opening to get under the sweatshirt that's when it hurts.I haven't trimmed there nails yet but I was wondering about the same thing if I should.

Ok thanks all, I will cut his nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Swtbrat
    Just a side note here.Bobby Hill of Varnyard shows how to trim Tegu nails on a different site.
    Now he is the second largest breeder of Tegus in the states,why would he show how to do it correctly if its not supposed to be done?

Brat!
    Can you send me the link of this site please, Thanks!!!
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

I would like to see it, too, please.Thanks.

i have never heard of trimming nails in reptiles. i think its a bad idea.
    they use their claws for various things such as ripping apart their prey sometimes and climbing or burrowing. after all reptiles are not pets such as dogs or cats.

Quote Originally Posted by snakehandler
    they use their claws for various things such as ripping apart their prey sometimes and climbing or burrowing. after all reptiles are not pets such as dogs or cats.
    I see what you are saying, but captive reptiles generally have manageable size prey items and substrate that is not packed.
    And from what I have read some people say, after a tegu is tame it can sometimes join the family outside of its cage and be held and so on. To me, there is no sense getting scratched up by a tegu when trimming the nails back a bit would help.

I am thinking in the kind of environments we provide, that they would still be able to burrow if their nails were given a minimal trim.

Why would you leave a message that clearly seems to be putting someone down for their reptile care and then not making suggestions to help them out?
    So tell us stupid people here what are the correct means?
    Your message comes of as you being some sort of expert but if that were true you'd be more helpful and putting people down is not being helpful.
    You see, the problem with the internet is that people see one keepers way of doing things, and they think that one way is the best. The correct means would be to give the animal something, through normal usage, that will promote activity that keep the nails in shape. Simple, right? I could rattle off 10 things that could help do that, but thats my setup, not yours or anyone elses. What works for me, may not work for you. The best thing I've found to do is go out into the woods and experiment, and find something that works for you. I'm totally hands off when it comes to these animals. I don't bathe, cut nails, hand feed, etc. I give the animals the means to perform thier life functions; If I see something missing, I try to fill in the gap and it may take 10 attemps to get it right. The difference between being successfull and not is about the ability to read YOUR animals. Remember one thing, some of the most successfull keepers ( From low-high end, and common-rare ) are the ones that aren't following the "mainstream". They do whats needed in their situation and adjust as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehandler
    I see what you are saying, but captive reptiles generally have manageable size prey items and substrate that is not packed.
    And from what I have read some people say, after a tegu is tame it can sometimes join the family outside of its cage and be held and so on. To me, there is no sense getting scratched up by a tegu when trimming the nails back a bit would help.

I am thinking in the kind of environments we provide, that they would still be able to burrow if their nails were given a minimal trim.
    the question is if tegus should join the family on family trips.
    theyre wild reptiles with different needs than a dog or cat.
    if you dont wanna get scratched you shouldnt take a tegu.
    a tegu shouldnt follow the basic needs of humans but humans should care for the basic needs of tegus.
    the next line to be crossed would be to learn your tegu to give its paw on command. what i am saying is that in order to fullfill his life needs tegus need their claws together with an environment that is suitable for them.
    if humans fit in that picture thats oke, but if it is streched too much your tegu will suffer.

You have a good point. But taking a tegu on trips and just having it out in the family room are to me, different. There is something to be said for handling the larger tegu guys enough so that they are, if not tame, at least not suffering major trauma if they have to come out of their cage for some reason.