Thread: breeding attempt or attack?

Default breeding attempt or attack?

OKay....so I got my female blue today.

with three gloved handlers ready in case of fights I put everyone together out on the porch.

The blues all sniffed each other then walked off and did their normal thing.
    Master Chief...my argentine BW was a different story, he sniffed her with a lot of interest then began biting her and around the head and neck! 8O

THis didn't look like an attack...the best way to describe it was he was just slowly wrapping his jaws around her head and neck...was it a copulation attempt? : I broke it up quickly since I wasn't sure what was going on.

Chief didn't hibernate this year so I don't think he's all that randy, but apparently this female just laid eggs (I got her from the St. Pierres), mabye some hormonal thing she's still got going on triggered chief?

Or was he just being a bully? Seems unlikely, he wasn't acting at all aggressive (no puffing up, walking tall...anything) and when I picked up to get him away he was his ussualy relaxed self...I'm a little confused. :oops:
    Elliot

1.2.0 blues
    1.0.0 red
    0.2.0 family

...and way too many fish

A male bearded dragons will grab onto the females neck when trying to breed with her but i'm not 100% sure if tegus do the same thing as I have never bred tegus before. Probably best to wait for a reply from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Charlene

varnyard Guest

It don't sound like a fight, but I can't say for sure. I have never bred tegus. But I am shure someone has the answer.

It is hard to say without actually knowing the tegus. It could have been a breeding attempt, but at the same time I have seen larger tegus open their mouth and move towards them slowly at smaller tegus in a sign of what I assume is dominance. Generally the smaller tegu backs down and the whole thing is over. I would personally keep a very close eye on them to be sure.

Rick

NEVERMIND...chief is now trying to hump everything with four legs......oh jeez is this a mess...okay so blues and BW have never sucessfully crossed right? moreover, this female has already laid eggs this year...can they do it twice? I'd like to allow them to mate just so chief can get it out of his system because he is going CRAZY.

I don't know what she will think of that though
    Elliot

1.2.0 blues
    1.0.0 red
    0.2.0 family

...and way too many fish

I doubt anything would come of it, but if she is not interested I am unsure what she would do.

Rick