Thread: missing feathers ?

Default missing feathers ?

does anyone know what is the matter when a parakeet looses its feathers around the eyes and beak :
    shortly after that my white parakeet passed on :cry:
    i am birdbrain....just had my name changed. that's all. please click.....
    http://www.unicreatures.com/view.php?id=228408

Celeste,

I just lost one of mine and I too am in PA. There was also a molt going on. I had thought we might have picket up mites in some manner but teh second one is showing no signs of trouble. There was some heavy breathing going on for a while but that stopped.

As both were adopted we have no idea of ages for either of them just that the survivor is younger. I begin to wonder if something was in the PA air recently.

None of my finches are effected in any manner. No signs of congugation either. Please keep me informed. If you wish to chat PM me with more details and we can compare. I had an appointment with the vet and canceled because the Keet seemed fine by then.

Callisto

Welcome to (both of you) the Tegu forum ( family).I'm sorry that I don't have any answers for you. :cry: I feel bad about you loosing your birds.Hope you will find out what happened.Take care and good luck.

There is an affliction 'scaly face' that particularly keets and finches have.
    Heavy breathing and sneezing in small birds might be air sac mites; canaries and Lady Gouldian finches seem particularly prone.

I have a few finches and also have 30+ English keets (and more birds) so I try to keep close watch for mites and the like. There is a product 'Iverlux' that is a form of ivermectin made for birds that helps with these particular ailments, you can purchase it online. I have talked to other bird people and breeders who have used it and not one person has reported a negative outcome from this medication, but there is online literature to help you make your own decisions.

Celeste,
    I feel bad for you, for your loss of your keet.
    I have a new white English budgie chick just feathered in a week ago. I do not ship but if you know anyone coming your way from Houston, I will give it to you. It is not hand fed but it is a cute and friendly chick.

Lucille just be careful not to let your Tegu get to close to the birds ( remember what happen with angelrose :cry: :lol: ).

I hear you. The birds are in cages, and the tegus are never out in the critter room. But one can never be too careful.

:lol: that's good to hear :wink: .

Lucille,

I had thought it might be mites as well. Put in a bird protector trap and picked up a spray. I grabbed an OTC antibiotic as well: Sulfadimethoxine as an oral as preventitive. Who knows it might just eb why I saved teh other one. The one seems to be just fine.

Callisto

PS I haev all birds in one room snakes in another and the dog and cat are monitored. Its funny how the dog and cat keep each other in line. They grew up together so they are like brothers.