Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what should i use to build my cage?

nice set up. im hoping to have my custom enclosure very soon...
    0.1.0 Col. Tegu
    0.1.1 Arg. Tegu
    0.2.0 Leos
    0.0.1 Spotted Python
    0.0.1 Painted Turtle

tileboard is good stuff, if you are talking about the correct material. sometimes called showerboard. all of my cages have it and i have had 0 problems with moisture

well that is good to know. that there are no problems with that material
    0.1.0 Col. Tegu
    0.1.1 Arg. Tegu
    0.2.0 Leos
    0.0.1 Spotted Python
    0.0.1 Painted Turtle

Warner,

The Lowes receipt calls the material "ceramic white tileboard". When we were deciding on which product to use we chose that one because the details specifically stated "for use in showers" and it didn't say "do not get wet".

But you are right, it is some sort of hard, thick, fiberous type material with a white shiny coating on it. So of course, sealing the edges will be of the utmost importance.

I don't think Tegster will ever be able to put a mark on it - but I was able to cut through it with a blade (took several passes and lots of elbow grease).

Tegulevi, it also went by the name of showerboard when we were at the store. Does the description above sound like the same stuff you use??
    Renee

tegster how much was it for thos?
    0.1.0 Col. Tegu
    0.1.1 Arg. Tegu
    0.2.0 Leos
    0.0.1 Spotted Python
    0.0.1 Painted Turtle

Meanah,

$17.87 per sheet at Lowes. We are using 4 sheets in our 6x4x3 enclosure.
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by Tegster
    Warner,

The Lowes receipt calls the material "ceramic white tileboard". When we were deciding on which product to use we chose that one because the details specifically stated "for use in showers" and it didn't say "do not get wet".

But you are right, it is some sort of hard, thick, fiberous type material with a white shiny coating on it. So of course, sealing the edges will be of the utmost importance.

I don't think Tegster will ever be able to put a mark on it - but I was able to cut through it with a blade (took several passes and lots of elbow grease).

Tegulevi, it also went by the name of showerboard when we were at the store. Does the description above sound like the same stuff you use??
    Well, good luck with it. They told me that the manufacturer specifically said NOT to let it get wet. It's just compressed paper. I think that it will break down and absorb the humidity from the cage and substrate. I was very interested in using it, but their strong words of caution (and those from the manufacturer) swayed me otherwise.

Warner

i think we are talking about a different material. this stuff is literally made for shower use. ive been using it for almost 3 years (same piece) and it has help up perfectly. large monitors could eventually damage it though if used for them. they have much more damaging claws.

and yes caulk the seams

i have my black and white tegu in a 6x3.5x4 cage that is 2 stories with a ramp to go up and down...he seems to like it alot.

Okay, here is the scoop -

I went back to the Lowes website to get more info but they didn't even list the product we just bought there. I went to the manufacturers website, Decorative Panels International, instead.

What we bought is called Aquatile. We bought model "Toned White #627". I have the label off the back complete with UPC.

Here is what they say about their product:

"Aquatile embossed tileboard is a complete, water-resistant wall covering system for any high moisture area of the home."

Assuming they aren't lying about their product and we seal it appropriately it ought to work.

Now if only I hadn't read their MSDS........ 8O
    Renee