Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just became a Tegu dad

ohhh perfect!
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

8O Wow.You are a great dad to him :wink: .Until you can get some proper lighting like the UVB light do you think you can put a dog collar and a leash on him to take him out side ( try to put it under neath his shoulders and not the neck)? he will get the proper lighting from the sun and maybe he will not feel so depressed if he gets to go out side and with the leash on you don't have to worry about him taking of.I put a small reptile leash on my Tegu and it works great.With the toe I'm worried that he is still in pain and maybe thats the reason he doesn't want to move around.Did he eat some more hamsters or any thing that was alive :lol: ? keep up the great job.I hope things will work out for you.Thank you for keeping us posted and for sending us those cool pictures.

Ok so this saturday i got him a proper UVB reptile tube, a calcium powder with vitamin D and a good house for him to hide in. I have to say that the same day as i installed the uvb light i immediately saw some improvements. He got much more active. And with his new house and all i know when he gets scared, because he goes there to hide if he thinks i'm bothering him too much. So all good for now. He has his secure hiding place which is fundamental because i will then easier know when he starts to accept me.....he also started to dig inside of it.

I gave him another hamster and yes.....he has got appetite
    Will try to get him to start eat veggies/fruits/raw chicken this week. Just want him to know that hamsters and mice will only be given as a treat and not as regular food.

Also....the guy in the reptile store where i went to get his supplies told me that it isn't just enough to sit with him or pet him until he gets interested in me. He told me to lift him up everyday(very gentle of course) until he gets used to it that way. Because if not he might just support my presence but still be very aggressive to contact. So i'm gonna start to gently pick him up everyday, and once his used to it i'm gonna start use your shirt method Samantha

IOU the pics, as i was rather busy this weekend and didn't take none

WOW im so happy your willing to take in a animal and invest and do some much for it, thats dedication!
    Goals:100 posts DONE!
    :200 posts OWNED
    :300 posts i dunno someday :S

Thanks Spence!

To tell you the truth....just one week before i got Juancho i was looking into getting an Australian water dragon.....though when my friend called me and said he found a tegu that was pretty messed up i just couldn't resist to take care of him

Water dragon are cool. I had one before, he always wanted to be handled/free roaming. They can't stay in their tank silently lol :wink:

But as I heard of Tegu Caracteristic and behavior, they are definitely the best
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Hi there, that's an amazing place for your lizard, I wish I had one like that for when I travel a day or two. I live with my parents so they take care of him in those situations but I still like it. I only have a not so big enclosure but he just sleeps there so it's ok. He roams the house most of the time or I take him to the park. He also has the kitten basket in the dining room if he wants to sleep while we are there. :P
    And yeah water dragons are amazing, have you check Bill Flowers aka The Snake Artist video about them in YouTube?
    Now we only need some more pictures of your Juancho!!!

i0r just wanted to check back with you on how Juancho is doing.Hope all is well.

gebris353 that is so nice of your parents that they let you have that big Tegu and don't mind when he free roams the house.I rally love your photo gallery.You have a beautiful Tegu.Is it a he or she ? and how did you get him/her to lay on his/her back ? you should make a commercial for budweiser :lol: or go on the animal talent show :wink: .

Thanks txrepgirl glad you like them. I like your t-shirt method and the one with Zeuss yawning too! Well I'll still call him Juancho but it seems he is a girl in fact haha! I'm gonna ask Rick to be more than sure. And yeah I love taking pics of him like that, I'm gonna make a video of him to show you how to make him stay in his back when I get some time. It's really easy and he doesnt complain.

Btw! I0r's Juancho seems to be doing great! Check this video he made!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nn-HbpdGcU

Sorry guys for my absence.....have had a few hectic days and not much time to be with Juancho nor post about his progress.

Ben: Yeah water dragons are simply just awesome...especially the aussie And despite the fact that i got Juancho now i'm still considering getting one. But for the moment i'll wait and see.

Fabi: Well as said....it's my old dog pen and it has been empty for more than a year....so i'm just happy being able to give it some use. Gonna wait a bit and see if i'll start prepare the outside for Juancho. I think he'd like that

Samantha: Thank you for showing such interest in the recovery of Juancho. And i can tell you that he's doing just fine. His mouth is almost completely healed....though i've noticed that his upper jaw will have a permanent deformation(will get a pic on that). Not much...just like a bump. His wound on his left belly side is i think almost as good as it gets as well. It went from a little fleshy wound to pink scar and now it has a yellow/brown color. What remains is his left back foot toe though....but i've been told that it's not necessary to cut it off.....it's simply gonna fall off on it's own. I'll wait and see.
    Here's a pic where you can see the wound on his belly as well as his bad toed(not too good pic though)
    He looks a bit grumpy, doesnt he??

About his progress in captivity:

He have been quite calm. Not showing any aggression at all...which i reckon is a good sign. I've been sitting with him for a while every day now and he really didn't seem to mind me being there at all. I've even been able to put my hand(gloved) close to his head without him hissing or showing signs of aggression......as close as 5 - 6''!!
    Today though for some reason he felt very bothered. When i first opened the door he went to hide in his house

Very grumpy today...talk about mood swings....haven't checked the sex yet...but by judging of his behaviour today i'd say it's female no offense

Now to the feeding part! And this is BREAKING news!
    Ok so i've prepared fresh food for him everyday since i got him....and he has never eaten not even 1 piece. I've given him chicken, beef, mango, papaya, plums, tomato, cucumber...and such, and he never ever took a bit of something that wasn't alive.
    The only thing he has eaten since i got him are 2 hamsters and 3 super worms. Though if you look in the video i put up on youtube, that Fabi(gebris) posted here above...you can see him take a piece of chicken in his mouth and then spit it out and eat the super worms instead....well today when i prepared his food i said to myself that if he doesn't eat it i'd give him a mouse. Well the hours passed by and he didn't even smell the food.....so i then decided to toss him a mouse. The mouse landed somewhat close to his food bowl. He then had a go for the mouse but missed......but being so close to the beef and mango he actually took a piece of beef and swallowed it!!!!! His first piece of food that wasn't alive!! Of course after eating that piece of beef he went for the mouse :(
    But good progress though....looks to be a long process trying to tame him a bit....but i've got plenty of patience, so it's ok