Thread: Feed till they drop?!

Default Feed till they drop?!

Well hello again,

Mr. Magoo has now fattened up like a champ! It's almost like you can see daily growth in him! His nails grow back very fast as well (about a weeks time!). I trim them slightly so he doesn't cut me up so much, although he still does a good job!. I'll have to get some new pics of him up as he's getting big, he's a fat boy now! He's at or over 2ft in length and is taking 3 hoppers a feeding during the day. He'll take the 4th or more at night. I'm not real worried about him getting overweight as he's still under a year old, for the time being he gets as much food as he wants! I got him at 6 months old so he's still got awhile to go! As long as he's happy, I'm happy! Maybe I'll snag some feeding pics as well? He still won't allow me to hand feed him, and is only interested in mice in his enclosure. I don't think he likes me watching him eat sometimes as he'll stop and freeze or slow down feeding. He doesn't have a crazy feeding response and I can pet him inbetween mice, or once he's done. Gotta love the blues! I'm sending out payment for my 2yr old female today so with some luck I'll have some baby blues available this season! I'll have to keep back a female for myself that's for sure!!!
    John

Default hand feeding warning

I'd be very wary about hand feeding. Your tegu is very smart and may associate your hand with 'feeding time'. When his feeding response rises, as it will when he feels even more comfortable, then when you reach in to pick him up, change the waterbowl, clean up feces, etc.. he may dart out and bite your finger (which looks a lot like a pinky anyways).

I am not sure of anyone who has hand fed their tegu throughout it's life who can share results, but I do know that I hand feed crickets to Tux (treats for performing a task - coming when called, climbing to the top of his enclosure when prompted, etc) with a set of yellow plastic tongs. If even a day or two later with no 'tong feeding' I am holding him and he spys the tongs sitting there on the shelf, he will freeze for a moment looking at the tongs then dart across the couch, my chest/lap/should (depending on where he is) and attack the tongs.

I am not saying all tegus will have this response, but from what I understand it is a common occurence. Maybe others can give some input.

Rick
    theTegu.com

Default Oh believe me I am...

I know it wouldn't exactly feel good to take a bit from a tegu oh his size! and may/could require stiches. The female I'm getting in has been hand fed for alot of it's life. Infact I was told hand feeding her was no problem and she is very calm! Anyways I'm careful for sure! I have a habit of hand feeding everything (monitors, giant retics, burms, you name it I've hand fed it *NO VENOMOUS* - that's just common sence!). Anyways I do have quick reactions and I don't pay attention to anything but the animal when I am performing these tasks!
    John