Thread: Field Herping

GOT_TEGUS01 Guest

Default Field Herping

For years I did field studies on native PA herps ...I also reported the decline of species such the north american wood turtle, box turtle and timber rattlesnake... And nothing was done.. also supported crossing paths like drains under roads to stop the decline of native turtles. we acually tryed a path like this and was sucessful. now here in PA the fish commision now protects all native herps to PA.. You cant even sell a albino Black rat snake here native Species. ive worked to preserve native wild herps build habitats for species snake caves, turtle docks etc. endless hours in the field ( I love IT) But the hope these herps and other animals have are us. captive breeding programs Etc. I talked to state agencies about captve breeding a release They dont like the idea. what do you Think ?
    Jeff

Captive breeding and release is now a very unpopular strategy for many reasons. First, contrary to what most people believe, the success rate for most captive breeding and release (or even just rehabilitation and release) programs is less than 5%, meaning for every 100 individuals released, fewer than 5 survive. It isn't worthwhile. Admittedly, these "success" stories are predominantly from other taxa (mammals, birds, fish) and some reptilian groups show far greater success (crocodilians). Still, in most cases, it doesn't work as well as one would wish. Secondly, release programs have a very major drawback - introduction of diseases to the wild population. Frequently, the wild populaiton does not have a built up immunity to these novel diseases and the die offs can be catastrophic, so instead of helping the population, it has often hindered it. Third is the opposite of the second point - the released individuals often aren't exposed to the same diseases as the wild population, and so when released they suffer dramatically. This not only contributes to point one, but when you have such a large group harbouring the disease, the disease winds up being more supported than it normally would, and you wind up contributing to greater losses in the wild population. Fourth point comes in maintaining the genetic distinctiveness of geographic areas. It's easy to just grab X females and Y males and breed them, but often in the wild you get distinctly different breeding populations, and unless those are fully understood, they are hard to maintain with a captive breeding program. Fifth, it depends a lot on what the critical life stage is the species you are trying to bolster. Take sea turtles for instance. All sea turtle species have some sort of captive rearing program to help bolster populations, but under scrutiny these programs are pretty much completely ineffective. Why? When you do critical analysis of what life stages are most important to the continuance of the species, in sea turtles it is always the full grown adult. Doesn't matter how many hatchlings get dumped into the ocean, nature generally eliminates most of them anyhow. Adults, however, are so critical to the survival of the species, that any perturbation downwards of the adult proportion is likely to doom the species. It is those critical life stages that are most important to protect.
    For most reptiles and amphibians, the usual best strategy for their survival is to ensure adequate refugia for them to exist without interference from mankind. This doesn't just mean a ban on their hunting or collection, but generally a complete non-interaction with mankind. For a lot of chelonians, the biggest causes of their declines is roads and habitat fragmentation. For other reptiles it is often loss of habitat or some similar change in their ecosystem. If left to their own and given proper protection, they do much better than when artificially trying to help them by just increasing offspring numbers.

GOT_TEGUS01 Guest

Default Field Herping

I agree there has been many things in the works for years...I bought land that is wet lands and monitor the animals myself and contact private land owners and shared my veiws i maintaining there lands for wildlife... I seen habitats that once wildlife and herps where number less. and now sewage wasteland with no froms of life not even algae. with fellow land owners and habitat building ive seen sucess bottom line we take nature.. im also native american lenni lenape and respect the earth and all life on it. but the problem is fixed by us not the agencies lcaptve release has its draw backs but some species that are gone in the wild no problems there. many issues and problems . other ways whos right whos wrong ?
    Jeff

this is kinda off topic but if im seeying right bubba you have 52 chameleons?o.o
    Goals:100 posts DONE!
    :200 posts OWNED
    :300 posts i dunno someday :S

GOT_TEGUS01 Guest

Default chameleons

yes i do actually was 8o hatchlings but have 50 plus adult pair. keeping hatchlings for another 2 months then ill sell all to pet shops etc. pass couple of years i sell all my hatchlings to pet shop /dealers works best for me.
    jeff

Ok keeping this off topic.......frilled dragons(Chlamydosaurus kingii??)!!!!!!!! How did you get a hold of those?? Thought they were like super protected specie, like 4 xmpl the thorny devil.

How do they manage in captivity?? Tame??

GOT_TEGUS01 Guest

Default Field Herping

My frillies are tame somewhat They frill alot hiss etc. some can be very tame. but mine are biters They are New guinea FRills Not Australian. babies can be bought for about 145.00

Ahh....forgot abou tthe New Guinea ones
    Simply awsome mate!

GOT_TEGUS01 Guest

Default Field Herping

My frillies are not as tame as my tegus. They are more bluff than bite
    Jeff