Thread: Blood in the stool

Default Blood in the stool

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm sooooo scared.This morning when I wanted to get Leonidas out of his tank I saw a big pile of fresh poop that has blood in it.The blood doesn't look bright red but more like it is old ( brownish ) blood.I never seen it in his stool before.I'm going to call the vet as soon as they open up and make a appointment.Did this happen to any of you before ? thanks for any info.

Yikes! I can't say I've looked that closely. Could it be something he ate and didn't digest well? If he is acting normal-try not to panic. Bring the poop with you to the vet. Let us know what's going on.
    Renee

Thanks for the post Tegster.I look at his poop every time when I have to clean it up.The poop was in a place that was hard to get to ( under the log that is arched ) so I used a scooper to get it.When I did that the mulch got all over the poop.He is acting like he normally does.Maybe it's from the small mouse that I gave him.I used to give him fuzzies but he ate them so fast that I switched over to some thing bigger ( that was his first mouse).When I touch his belly he doesn't seem to be in pain.I don't know if I should wait until he poops again and see if it happens again or if I should take him to the vet.If it would be fresh bright red blood I would think it is something more serious.I'm so confused.

Isn't it something how we worry about these guys? It is hard to take a "wait and see" position. But, it could just be the change in the food.

When we began feeding Tegster hoppers he slowed down on eating. We assumed because it was taking longer to digest the larger mouse. He has pooped out fur and things that look like leftover organs.

But as long as he poops regularly, and doesn't seem to be acting strangely, try not to panic. Maybe for your own peace of mind, take just the stool sample to the vet and have them test it for you. Do they even do that?

We are lucky with Tegster-he always eats a few pieces of his fruit first before he eats his meat. I figure that will keep him "regular".

I don't know what else to say.
    Renee

Thank you Tegster for the comforting words.I think I just over reacted.I just couldn't wait for the vet appointment.So what I did I gave Leonidas a bath.That makes him usually poop.That way I could see a nother poop sample and see if it looks the same and it did.But like I sad before it looks more like old brownish blood.Now it looks to me like brown mucus.I think you are right with being the change of the food.I have a bad habit that when something doesn't look like it normally does ( even with my son ) I start to freak out :lol: .Sorry for starting to worry you all about my Leonidas.I just didn't know what to do and it was to early in the morning to start thinking clearly for me :lol: .

You're welcome. I am the same way sometimes.
    Renee

Wow, when I read the first post that scared me too! Glad you could find it seems to just be food rest. Sometimes, when Juancho eats many cherries you can see in her poop some red little red things but just from the fruit, so next time time to remember what food he ate so you can compare, if nothing comes out take the poop sample to the vet. Keep us updated, everything is gonna come back to normal! :wink:

It appends with my BTS, three days ago , he poops and I saw some blood on it. I was so scared and nervous about it. 8O

My moms, told me that the reptile do this sometime depending of their diet. I just realize that I gave him Cherries 1 day before. :P

I was so happy to learn this lol :lol:
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Leonidas doesn't eat any fruits or veggies.I keep on trying but it worked just 2 or 3 times and that was a long time ago.The only difference in his diet is the sice of the rodent.I switched him from fuzees to a small mouse.Bryan ( my boyfriend ) sad that maybe because the mouse is bigger than the fuzzy the poop is bigger,too, and maybe tore the b.... ( vent ) open a bit and that's why there is blood on the stool.