Thread: Some reading material, anyone?

Default Some reading material, anyone?

I'm sure everyone is getting sick of my posts by now, but in case you aren't yet, I have a question about some reading material.

Let me start by saying that I am a little nervous about reading testimonial-type stuff online, as everyone on the Internet seems to be a self-made expert. Now I'm not doubting that there is some good stuff out there, but sometimes it can be difficult to find. So if anyone has any tried-and-true websites(besides SiscoReptiles.com, that is) that are a reliable source of information, please let me know.

However, being an old-fashioned kind of guy, I prefer an actual reference text. After visiting several local pet shops(including a reptile-specific place) and bookstores of all sizes, I've only found two titles between them. Monitors, Tegus, and Related Lizards and General Care and Maintenance of Monitors and Tegus seem to be the only titles I can find, and after going through both books, monitor lizards seem to occupy most of the space, with tegus filling only the final few pages. The care knowledge I found there seems to be very basic. If anyone has found anything more advanced, I'd be interested. University texts, biological studies, natural history writings, whatever you read, I want to read it! Let me know if you can help.

This link has a list of nearly all the scientific literature available.

http://www.www.thetegu.com/postlite3691-.html

this whole forum is more or less a factual book..
    Actually no, its even better than a book, because it doesn't tell you what to do, It explains how to do stuff and common problems from the people who matter, the people who actually have tegus and have had them for years, full of information they have picked up.

Ive learnt more from the friendly guys and gals at this forum than anywhere else, books, tv, other sites etc. etc.

If I were you I would print out the key bits you need and then save them for a bit of bed time reading..
    studies show that you remember more if you read just before you go to bed, because it gives your brain more time to analyse it.

That's a huge list! Hope I can find someone here. Thanks!

8O omg, whata list, that must have took quite some time for you.
    THANK YOU
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

The only problem with relying solely on this site is that most people here are interested in the practice of keeping the animals. While that is certainly an interest of mine, I am fairly confident of my abilities to work it out on my own, using my herper friends, dealers, and veterinarians as support. This is simply an added bonus. My focus in finding reading material is for scientific data on their natural history, natural habitat, biology, physiology, evolutionary track, mating behaviours, nesting instincts, etc. Most of the interest that I am pursuing is not a necessity for the average keeper and their pet. It is simply the science that is my fascination.

Now before someone interprets this as me not keeping the best interests of my pet at heart, let me assure you that that is not the case. But the science of the animals interests me equally as much, and is something that I enjoy, and also allows me to create a better environment for my pet, as well as extrapolate information on breeding(of which I have no plans at this point) and other elements of their natural lives. So thank you for the list, I will look into acquiring many of the articles that I have available to me.