Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else feel this way?

Default Does anyone else feel this way?

I have always been a great lover of animals since I was small, always loved trips to the zoo, farms etc and have always loved interaction with any kind of animal.

I hate reading/hearing about cruelty to animals in any shape or form and I feel that anyone who mistreats animals is a coward in hurting something much more defenceless than themselves.

I have always had animals around the house in one form or another whether it have fur, scales etc

But do you like me feel that caring for these guys makes you always on the lookout for another to bring home. I always figure that the life offered with loving/responsible owners has to be the best option everytime than the one spent in a reptile shop day after day.

My husband fears going on the weekly trip to the shop now to stock up on cricket/locust supplies for our clan, as there is always something else to fall in love with. This is how we come by Louie we only happened to pop in for some fish food one Sunday in January and dropped into the reptile section for a nose around when I spotted Louie and it was love at first sight, I had never seen a Tegu before but he was so adorable and so that Thursday he was delivered to his new home and we haven't looked back since.

But I am not sure if you find like me when you talk to non reptile owning people they just can't comprehend how you could love these creatures let alone keep them in your home, but Louie brings the biggest smile to my face each day when I come home from work and his head pops out of his hide to see me and the look in his eyes seems to say 'I have been waiting for you, where's my dinner????'
    1.0.0 Louie Our Red Argentine Tegu
    1.0.0 Jorge Our Beardie
    1.0.0 Charlie Our Yemen Chameleon
    1.2.0 Romeo, Juliet & Duchess Our Leopard Geckos
    3.0.0 Oscar, Kruger & Rocky Our Fire Bellied Toads

oh my, you take the words right out of my mouth. I always bring up this same topic over and over (only with my daughters tho').

when I go for supplies, I have to look. then I feel it's necessary and my obligation to take them home and save them.

before entering my home the people who know me ask "are they out ?" the answer most of the time is yes and they will stay in the foyer and crinkle up their nose or step back from the door.

if I have some scratches on my arm, most people will say oh, I see you have a cat ? I say yes just to avoid any negative responses.

I just can't stop loving them all.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

I feel the same way.That's why we have 7 reptiles and 3 dogs :lol: .I think I have to start ordering all the food for our pets on line.Who knows what I'll bring home next .

The way I see it is this: my love for reptiles is no different than anyone else's love for any kind of animal. Some people are dog people, fish people, cat people, bird people, it doesn't matter; those people understand why there is such a love for what they are interested in. I may not completely understand why my mom loves birds the way she does (she has 9 right now!) but we have an understanding of the way we both love our respective animals. I think its essential for people to find their true passion no matter what it is. For any spider owners, I really really dont get it 8O but thats cool because it's your thing. 'Nuff said!

-Tango's Mom

Yes I feel the same way, everytime I go into a petshop and see a monitor/bearded dragon/uromastyx etc, I always freeze up and said : I want to buy these little/big guys, but always think about the feeding and housing price lol :lol:

Yes of course, many people do not understand how somebody can love his reptile just like a dog. They always said, eeeeeh you have lizard has pet? This is disgusting, why do you keep this animal? People do not know how good,adorable and lovely a reptile can be. But it seems that there is a progression every year, people seems to be interested and investingated to buy, keep and love one of these little dinosaur.
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

I just recently took a trip to the local reptile store. they had a Sav Monitor that barelly fit in the cage lengthwise . I know how you feel, I just wish I had the money to buy and take care of them.

my roomate just barely deals with having so many living things in the house.

he really freaks out when i tell him i'm breeding anything. even mealworms.

he thinks he'll wake up covered in bigs.
    1.1.0 Arg B/W Tegu Joker n Groxy
    1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon "Spyro"
    1.0.0 Red Eared Slider "Turdy"
    0.0.0 White Dwarf Hamster "MiMi" R.I.P.
    1.1.0 Black&Albino Kingsnakes "Pearl & Hannibal"

....in the beginning I got very strange looks when I put my orders in for bundles of 'things' everybody eats here .....but now they know me and just expect it ...lol
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

The people who say that usually want easy and dumb pets that just love you because they have to the reptiles are the only pet that you have to work for its trust besides some birds.

You have to take the extra time to tame the beast and the ones that like to tame the beast are the ones that find good in everything. :D

So to all the why reptile people you make me lol :lol: it takes respect to own a reptile so beat that!

God bless Steve Erwin the man who respected and truly loved Reptiles.

I know I may sound like a 70"s Hippie but o'well Peace :D

hmmm I do not agree, most of animals need to be tame with time. Even dogs, who are suppose to be the human best friend, need to be tame, because without work, they can be very mean and bite everytime.

Also, some reptile (like beardies) are naturally tame (there are some exception like everything). But they do not have a special trust building with them. They tolerate and some even enjoy human interraction. :wink:

Cats, some are very independant, will need a lot of work and interaction to have a good relationship with his owner. But some of them...will always be hypocrites...well cats lol. :lol:

I guess that it depends to every person, some people prefer little cute animal (like hamster,mouse,rabbit etc). Some want, a common pet (dog and cat) and finally they are the exotic lover. Who wants other kind of animal with a different behaviour. The most important thing, is to take care of them.

Also, Steve Irwin accident was sad. I never thought that he would be killed by a... ''living carpet''. : (I don't know the name of this animal, but it french we called it a ''raie'') God bless him.

Have fun with your pets guys!
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !