Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best food for small tegu?

I use to use a heat pad (stick it under the terrarium), and it never burns one of my herps (snake and lizard). But the problem with those heat pad, is when you stick it one time, you can put it off to put it under another terrarium. So I would go with a heat lamp (open 24/24hours).

I had a lot of experience with the heatpads, and I do not recommand them, they are expensive, they do not provide enough heat, and finally they can be use just one time by enclosure.

Hope it helps!
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Hey Ben3233.Outstanding info.You are right about every thing.I do not recommend using the heat mat for the Tegu because they burrow in to the mulch and he can get some ugly burns from that.I do use it with my ball python because she stays on top of the mulch.If you are using a heat mat what you can do is move the mulch to the side from where the heat mat is.Put your hand on top of the glass where the heat mat is and see if it gets to hot for your hand.A nother thing what you can do to help tame your Tegu is the T-shirt trick.Put on two shirts.One so you will not get scratched up and the other one is for your Tegu to hide under.Tuck in the shirts so your Tegu can't slide out and fall on the ground if you walk around with him.Tegus feel save when they have a place to hide.He will like this hiding place because he can hide,stays warm from your body heat and gets to smell you and will become more familiar with you.After I tamed my Tegus like that I had a hoody on and I walked around with them in my hoody.If you want to you can see some pictures of that in my photo gallery ( just click on the gallery button at the end of my post ).Hope that helps. Good luck with your Tegu.I almost for got.Here is some info for you on what you can feed your Tegu.

http://www.thetegu.com/modules.php?n...&p=35969#35969

http://www.thetegu.com/modules.php?n...&p=34545#34545

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/...ches-and-more/

http://rodentpro.com/qpage_articles_01.asp

Thx Txrepgirl, my herps never had a burns, I don'T know why, maybe because my enclosure is a Aquarium and the bottom have more density(do know how to say).

But I heard to many bad reputation about them, just like heating rock.

How's leonidas and Zeus doing?
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Your welcome Ben3233.Yea I have my Tegus in separate aquariums for right now.We are trying to built the enclosures this month.We had to put it of because I just now got over having bronchitis .

Hi dewby22
    I have a colombian tegu, Angelrose and she is about 3ft now. they are mostly meat eaters.

I would not use the heat pad for tegus they can get burnt (experience) and that can lead to infection. I read that tegus can't feel heat under their bellies.

as for the fur on mice / rats etc, this is another important reason to maintain the humidity level. it helps them dispose of the fur.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

We have a 2 or so yo Colombian and she still huffs, but she's very sweet. I think she's just territorial. She stands up high, too. We try to feed her outside of the cage as much as possible and she knows that she must come to us to get out. Usually if we lower our arm to her, she'll climb up or let us lift her from below. She doesn't lie her tail touch and she'll whip inside her cage if she feels threatened. Then she eats on her paper, poops, and her can hold her and play with her a bit. She's pretty predictable. We did the T-shirt thing and used a lot of patience to work with her very slowly.

About the mice..pinkies do not have hair, but they also have underdeveloped bones that contain quite a bit of calcium and minerals. I know there are supplements and such, but feeding more developed mice once in a while will give your tegu some natural minerals and the hair is a fiber source.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Quote Originally Posted by dewby22
    lol you have any suggestions on taming? Whenever i reach into his tank he hisses and puffs up he sometimes even stnds on his hind legs like a dinosaur lol but after i hold him for a little bit he calms down. How can i get him used to me being in his cage?
    I had a gold several (make that SEVERAL) years go and all he ever ate was rodents....was perfectly healthy and happy. Like yours, he had to go through the whole "I'm a tough guy" routine whenever I took him out, but after a couple minutes he was fine. I'd just wear gloves, let him bite and tail whip me until he was through with his tantrum, and then he would hang out and be just fine. I even took him outside. That was exciting actually....he decided he wanted to be wild and took off...I mean bi-pedaling took off! Those suckers can run! I was in my early 20's then and I'm pretty fast so I was able to catch up to him and lightly kick him with my foot (this was my ONLY option - otherwise he was gone into the woods and I'd never find or catch him) to make him roll out of his bi-pedaling. He just laid there (tired out from his sprint) and I picked him up. I had him for a long time....

Warner