Thread: im really lost with hibernation facts.....

Default im really lost with hibernation facts.....

hello people ok so i've seen a good fair few of the subjects of hibernation, and to be honest i got a little info but not enough to keep me satisfied,now these past few weeks, i've not really seen much of max at all, now at the minute i have him at my dads a nice enclosure, some of which would of seen, i my self live at the girlfriends house with her parents , meaning there just isn't no more room for another lodger, its a real shame too but were in the process of getting a house so should all be great when that eventually happens. but everyday from around 10am till say 5pm i go home to my dads and spend the rest of my day there, and i've noticed that sometimes and only sometimes ill catch him out under the basking slab for a little while like 30 mins say, and ill tempt him with a chick or 2 or something else thats in the cupboard, like scotch egg, which he does enjoy, known again he,ll eat only occasionally, and then lay back under the basking light a little longer but never more than 30 mins then go in his hide for the remainder of the day, until i go back to the misses house,lately like the past 3-4 days he,s been in there all day and never came out what so ever, like today i dint even see him once.. now i understand that these lizards hibernate and i know if they do to just leave them in peace. i have a ceramic heat bulb on at night time, which is set on a thermostat at 25-26 degrees celsius....thats all i give him at night, there is a night bulb i have in the enclosure an infra-red, but i barely turn it on because the temps may go higher than the set amount,with me not being there all night it may hit a little higher so i never risked it. in the day time i use a 160 watt basking light which averages from 38-44 degrees celsius its never perfect, don't ask me why!!! lol....and i use a uvb strip light repti-glo about a meter long going from above his hide to the basking light,the cool side averages around 25 degrees celsius maybe a little higher at times 27.... so i think these temps are good enough for him...this was my first thought being maybe too hot meaning why he wasn't coming out as much but i've heard temps being higher with others and there tegu being fine. now i've come to the conclusion of him doing what nature does best, and going with his normal state of mind and sleeping. (hibernating) now what my question is now is how sure am i he is actually hibernating and do i stop feeding him altogether from now....do i even give him another chance to show him self in these next few days to prove to me he may or may not be hibernating, if so should i turn of all lights and cool the temp to 23-24 and just keep that on from now ,leaving him in the dark for the remainder of his time till he starts to reappear,if hibernation is what hes doing why does he come out every so often then go back in.how can i be so sure hes doing this,the last thing i want to do is do what i said id do and him not doing what i thought, i basically don't want to piss him off.what should i do in this case. a don't want get a migraine thinking of all the things to do then make the wrong move. jesus christ i thought having a baby would be hard. haha but i love him dearly.

this is a very long post , and i just wanted to let you all know how i thought on this matter, this must be everything people are wanting to know. so people put your knowledge together and start sharing your thoughts and answers,

all the best for now,

dave

When we got one of our Tegus in December he was awake on and of and then went into hibernation.I was VERY confused about all that hibernation thin,too.When I heard in March that a lot of members Tegus came out of hibernation and mine was still sleeping I got worried.So I e-mailed Rick ( the breeder of some very tame Tegus and the admin from this forum ) he told me it is ok for me to dig Zeus up until he comes out on his own.I have been doing that since the end of March.He came out on his own one time.He basks a lot and eats really good now.Here is some infos on hibernation.Sorry that I can't help you more on that.Hope the info helps.Take care and good luck.

http://www.thetegu.com/modules.php?n...&p=37129#37129

he must just be very lazy because today i came home, ok he wasnt up, but when i sprayed the entire tank making it all very moist, after about half hour, i noticed he came out and onto his slab to bask, i opened one side of the sliding glass, and after a bit of time he eventually walked out of it and wondered around the bedroom, 4 hours later he was still wondering around the room,when i tried to put him back all he,d do was turn around and walk straight back out again lol, but i had to do things today so i had to put him back, he then went into his hide...he seemed to be more active today

i just think ive lost 1 lazy lizard who from now on is going to be let out to roam my bedroom fromnow on everyday, least this way he,ll get excercise everyday and have something to look forward too each day, when he see,s me he,ll expect to be able to come out. lets see what tomorrow brings. hope hes there waiting at the glass.

that's some great news.Thanks for keeping us updated.