Thread: handling attempts

Default handling attempts

SO i woke up this morning and fed Oz a few mealworms and a frozen pinky... He basked for about an hour or two then started exploring new cage. He still wont let me handle him, so i layed my hand in the cage and let him explore it too. His tounge was going crazy, he bit me twice, once on each side of my hand. I was kinda disapointed, i know he is still young (hatched in July), but i thought he would bite harder. The main thing i was trying to show him is that i am not a threat to him. Is it alright to let him bite me right now? I never pull away to also try and show dominance. Am i going about this process the right way?

Hello cortez, congratulation for your new Tegu.

To help you in the taming process you need to answer these question.

1) What kind of Tegu?
    2) Do you feed him into his own enclosure or in another one?
    3) Did you wash your hand after feeding him?
    4) For how long you set him into his new cage?
    5) How long did you have him?

You got a good point about the bitten part, yes it's a good thing to not remove the hand during a bite. It will makes him realize that it has no effects on you.As you said, baby Tegus are more nervous than most adult and mature Tegu. If you put him into a new cage, you have to let him 1-2 weeks alone, so he can discover his new house. Of course, the taming process will take several days,weeks and even months if your Tegu have a harder personality.

I think you are in the good way, you will have to repeat it often. Build his trust and he will be an awesome pet.

However, other people on this forum are going to tell you their opinion about taming tips.

Good luck! :wink:
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

hes a B_W arg.,
    I have to feed him in his enclosure right now since he wont let me pick him up and set him in his feeder cage
    I always wash my hands before and after i do anything having to do with him
    This is his 3rd week with me, i let him be during his first 2 weeks to adjust and just started the process of working with him.

In order to keep from having him relate my hand with food since i cant remove him form his cage until he accepts me i place his food down with gloves on. Anytime i take a chance of ruining his trust i try to wear gloves. ID rather have him hate the gloves than my hand.

Also i bought a little jar of 2oz monitor/tegu bites. It is made with chicken and livers. Im trying to keep a variety of food for him. Has anyone ever used this stuff?

Some will disagree with me on this I'm sure (and they may know more than me and have a good reason for their answer), but I would just pick him up anyway. Let him bite and get it out of his system. At the end of the day he'll realize two things:

1 - Him biting you isn't going to change the fact that you're going to pick him up.

2 - Coming out of his enclosure is actually fun, and it won't hurt him. He's biting out of fear, not anger or agression.

I had a gold tegu years ago and we'd go through that same routine every time he came out. He'd bite me and tail whip and then after he was out of his enclosure for a few minutes I could walk right up to him and pick him up and do whatever. He was no longer threatened by me and saw that no harm was going to come to him out of his enclosure.

Warner

Everyone has his own way to tame Tegus, personally I prefer the method : ''let him comes to you and he will be your friend'' than the one: '' I am the dominant one and you are going to learn that I am not a threat'' .

I tried the second method with a blue tongue skink, and I had a bad result. But, I do not thing Warner is false, as I read about his gold Tegu, he had a very good and tame one.

But generally in this forum, people are using the first method.
    Here are the rules:

1) Never feed him in the same enclosure
    2) Only pre-killed food
    3) Socialize, Socialize and Socialize
    4) Do not bother the Tegu in his hide
    5) Do not dig to get him
    6) Be patient, and build his trust

I hope it will help you!
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Another thing worth mentioning is that each animal will be different and respond differently to different stimuli, just like people. A big part of the temperament and personality will be dictated by their genetics, for sure. My tegu doesn't get handled nearly as much as he should, yet he has been nothing but gentle once he's out of his enclosure. Others have spent lots of time socializing and taming and training and STILL have issues with their animals. I will not take credit for the tameness of Al....that's just his nature it seems. One day he may bite someone (I have learned that ALL animals can and will bite under the right conditions), but I will certainly not blame the animal if it bites. It's simply responding to something that's happening to it. Like I stated, I wouldn't rely on my opinion for taming....I never had any real issues that needed to be corrected. You will get much better and more pertinent information from someone who started with a "problem child" and corrected it than you will from me, who started with an animal with a pretty mellow genetic disposition, I think.

Good luck!

Warner

I use a combination of both methods. The list Ben stated is good, but like Warner said, I just pick them up anyway. I think that consistent, gentle handling dispels fear. I also give a treat when they are out, so that they like being out. I am also associated with, "Come out and get a treat." This has worked for my Colombian Tegu, my rescue baby Green Iguana, my baby B/W Tegu, somewhat for the gator (he's just mean :P) When Kreacher (baby B/W) woke up from hibernation, he was a little cuss. He went from hiding from us to charging at my hand if I put it in his cage. It's only been a month and now he comes to me when I walk up to his cage, looks up at the lid, and comes to my hand for me to lift him up. I let him free roam a bit, then I feed him in a dish on some newspaper. We have a routine he has come to expect. He's a bit jumpy with loud noises and sudden movements, but quite a pleasure. He's also a Varnyard tegu, and I'm not sure if breeding for temperament has much to do with it.

And I'm not sure if I got you right, but don't be disappointed that he didn't bite harder. A biting tegu isn't much fun when they get bigger. A tame tegu is much more enjoyable pet, and when others can enjoy it with you, it's much more "cool" than an aggressive lizard.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets