Thread: Tegus together?

Default Tegus together?

Hey I recently got a tegu and I really want another tegu..( Obviously having the correct care) Are tegus solitary by any chance? And would a male and male fight or a female and female fight? Would there be dominance issues? How big of an enclosure would I need and would they have to be around the same age, size etc? Is it better to have them in seperate enclosures?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks Curty.

Tegus are social, they can be housed together, but you have to take a look at them, to see the interaction with others. It's not 100% sure that the two Tegus are going to be peaceful to each other. I heard about the male vs male fight, but a female vs female, I never read a comment or an anecdote about it. Maybe other people here can answer more effectively about this theory.

As for the size cage, 2 adult Tegu(b/w) will require a 8x4x4 feet enclosure.

Of course, the two Tegus need to have to same average size, if not, one is going to be eaten.

Personally, I would try to house two Tegus together, but starting when they are small. So they can be used together before beginning mature. Introducing an adult to another adult can ended badly.

Good luck!
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

So if I was to get two I would have to get them probed to see for the sex as they are young, that would be confusing.. As I would have to buy the tegu to get it probed but if they end up being males they would fight.. But if that happened I think I could build another enclosure, space is not a problem.

I think I would be best with them seperate. :wink:

Thanks Ben!

Curty.

No problem :wink:
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !