Thread: getting ride of rat urine odor

Default getting ride of rat urine odor

I have just started my own rat breeding colony. I only have two little baby rats right now and I was woundering how to get ride of the pee smell in the room. Some sites say wood pellets, and others say vinigar. I was wanting to know what would be safe with little baby rats.

ive been told the wood as well and to use vanilla extract in the water. just a few drops per 8 oz and it makes the smell much less. well at least with mice that is.. for the best way to fix ur problem go to african soft fur rats. they almost dont smell at all.
    0.1.0 Col. Tegu
    0.1.1 Arg. Tegu
    0.2.0 Leos
    0.0.1 Spotted Python
    0.0.1 Painted Turtle

Default rat odor

Some one told me to use equinefresh pine pellets but isn't pine suppose to be toxic to rodents?

no ceder is but both pine and ceder are both toxic to reptiles
    one arg b&w tegu oreo
    4 dogs ruby, jake, and of corse my rolie
    3 rabbits
    7 chickens
    2 ducks
    and 4 breeder rats

aspen shavings, they are repti and rodent safe, and don't produce that stinky of a smell (as long as you clean the cage once a week [which is just good husbandry]) AVOID PIN AND CEDAR it is toxic to rodents and reptiles alike

another good choice is recycled newspaper, (shredded)

but just make sure the substrate is changed weekly.
    www.myspace.com/christcody

1.0.0 Colombian Tegu (Thor)
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Montee)

Aspen shavings will help for sure. Also, I have heard the vanilla trick which I haven't tried yet. Something else I have tried is Arm and Hammer baking soda sprinkled across the bottom of the cage. That one works great.
    I switched to ASFs for the smell reasons as I don't have a place to put the rodents out of the house. They do have a scent but it's a warm, sweet kind of smell that's not like "Holy crap you have mice in here!".
    While they are not nearly as offensive in odor I'm finding that they might be great for hatchlings but as the tegus grow I'm seeing they will eat quite a bit and are growing far faster than the ASFs. An ASF takes about 2 months to get to adult size which to have enough to keep up with hungry tegus you'd better have a buttload of tanks full of growing rats! In light of such, I have not switched completely over and will likely drop the ASFs after this first year to breed rats only as they grow MUCH faster.
    Good luck to you!
    Tree hugging is the truest form of self preservation!
    http://facebook.com/gisartbiz

Default odor away

you should use Bi-Odor. you just put a little in their water, and soon their poop and pee will have a tremendous change in smell... i just started mouse breeding and it smells NASTY but with bi odor it reduces the stench by a lot..also for a tremendous lift off on cost of bedding you should try shredded newspaper, by a paper shredder. they love it and they use it to make nests