Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dave, the Crow Saver!

Default Dave, the Crow Saver!

Okay, so I found this little baby crow in my Garden, shivering, cold and hungry, and scared. Its parents were circling around above. but couldn't get to it. I persume it had fallen out of one of the many nests in the tree above. So I took it in, fed it, bathed it, gave it a bed.
    Now he lets me feed him fine, he loved getting cuddled, and I often take him outside, as his parents are still nearby, He seems to miss them, but theres nothing he can do. I often leave him in the large ferret run throughout the day, feeding him regulary. (without ferrets in, of course :P)

I'm going to set him free the moment he learns to fly, But I have a feeling he'll stay near by.

wow Davii,that was so nice of you to help a baby crow.what did you feed the baby crow?did the crow parents get upset?how come the crow parents can't get to their baby?sorry for so many questions,i love animals.lol.
    i am birdbrain....just had my name changed. that's all. please click.....
    http://www.unicreatures.com/view.php?id=228408

The Parents did seem upset, they kept swooping over me to try scare me off, and kept circling, they were also squarking alot. But I went inside and watched them for a good hour or two (I really have nothing better to do) And they didn't come down.

Mainly I've been feeding it bread soaked in milk. But he really favors tiny bits of boiled egg. I also syringe feed him/her some water.

I'm not saying you should keep it, but once it is imprinted on humans it may not be good to let it go. Alot of people shoot crows for fun, they deem them as worthless pests that are out to do evil. They are actually one of the most intelligent and social birds on the planet, and make excellent pets. It's very inhumane, but if you split thier tounge, they can talk. I have always wanted a pet crow, if I could find someone who breeds them that is. I would have to think long and hard about releasing a hand fed, adjusted bird back into the wild. I'm not saying that it would be facing certain doom, but it would not fear humans, and sometimes that can be very bad.
    1.0 African Rock Python
    0.1 Savu Python
    1.2 Cornsnakes
    0.0.1 Diadem Ratsnake
    0.0.1 California Kingsnake
    0.0.1 Argentine b/w tegu
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon
    2.1 leopard Geckos
    0.1 wife
    1.1 Children

About 12 years ago my neighbor at the time had a bird that fell out of the nest.He knew that I love animals so he asked me if I wanted him.I took the bird in and every time it chirped I was syringe feeding it with some bird baby food that you get at the pet store ( it's a powder ) and mixed it with some luke warm water.When I got it,it had hardly any feathers.I had it for a few months and I thought since it's kind of grown now I would have to let it go.It was a perfect bird.It had a very sad ending because when I let it go I turned around to go back in the house.All of a sudden I heard a noise and I turned back around and one of my dogs ( I don't have those dogs any more ) got it.I broke my heart because I never thought that a wild bird that I let go would come back to me :cry: .It still brings tears to my eyes because my son was just a toddler at that time and that bird sad on his little train and was raiding around on it and he loved budding :lol: .I would recommend keeping him,too.Sorry for making it so long.Thanks for taking him in and good luck with him.Oh,I might be wrong on that one but I would be careful with the bread because it has yeast in it and it can cause some bloating in his stomach.

im almost positive that splitting the tongue is not necessary for them to talk. they are extremely intelligent birds. even wild ones have been known to mimic and talk

Wow, alot of people have interest in birds!
    Keeping him as a pet and not releasing him again is something I've been thinking about. In the garden when I take him out for some fresh air he sees me and attempts to walk to me, its cute!
    The problem is with releasing him, I think he'll stay close by because of him being tame.. and the problem with that is, we have four dogs and two cats that would love to get hold of him.
    Also, we have alot of school kids from the worser school in the area walk by, who have been known to kick to death cats and kill animals for fun.. That I hate.
    The mimicing and talking is very interesting! I might try teach him some stuff. *squark www.thetegu.com is great squark!* ..sorry, I have no life. :P

txrepgirl; Your story moved me alot, And I feel very sorry for your loss, sounds like you were pretty attached to him/her.
    Also, I never knew that about the bread. I've been feeding him both white and wholemeal bread mixed with milk and egg. I've also been syringe feeding him water, sometimes mixed with egg. It doesnt seem to have any effects but I'll keep an eye out now you've mentioned it.

He never stops eating!! Does this eventually slow down? I'm guessing it will do, but at the moment hes just chirping and chirping for food!

Oh, and if they're really intelligent like everyone says, can they be litter trained?
    Because every time I move him he poops >.<

Hi Davii.I don't know about the litter training but I think he just poops or pees because he might be scared and just not used to you much yet.Some Tegus do that,too,when they are young and is in a new place.I didn't had a crow it was a sparrow.Thank you for your condolence.Oh,have you thought about building a outside enclosure for him ? ( don't be so hard on your self and say you have no life because every one has different interests ).Look when I fist came to this forum and how many posts I have.Some people might think I don't have a life either but I DO :lol: .I think your thought was cute :wink: . :idea: maybe you could put up a sign that says something about no trespassing we have hidden cameras up :lol: ( for those bad kids ).

wow,txrepgirl,a sparrow?did it talk?did it do anything like a pet bird would?that's awesome.i would love to pick a baby wild bird up and save it.

Davii, when you said it seems like a lot of people have an interest in birds,it does seem like that.i have a very big interest in birds.(i bet you could tell that from my name,lol.)and i could teach you some stuff about them if you have any questions.however,since i am not always online anymore,there is a big forum to help you about birds.i go to this forum as Chubbie.(my birdie's name.).the people there are very friendly and helpful.this forum is called birdchannel.com.they also have there a lot of info on birds.here is the link to this very informative site:

http://birdchannel.com/

to go to the the forum,click the bird cummunity button,then click the "log in to the forums" button.i hope this has helped you,good luck.

Celeste.
    i am birdbrain....just had my name changed. that's all. please click.....
    http://www.unicreatures.com/view.php?id=228408