Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dave, the Crow Saver!

BirdBrain;
    Thanks for the tuition offer, If I have any questions, I'll post them, and perhaps you can answer then
    I'll have a look at the link as soon as I've finished this post, thanks

txrepgirl;
    Yeah, I often go out and I have a good social life, however, what we end up getting up to, I'd rather just stay in, and chat on a site like this with people who understand animals as much as I do.
    And about the fear thing, I agree, but I've noticed he poops more when I move him, Hes still slightly unstable on his legs, but hes getting stronger!

And I have indeed thought about building an ouside enclosure! I have a very very old tree house hidden away high up in the trees, that I already modified for a bird cage, as it used to inhabit a Wood Pigeon that I saved a while back, It died though :(
    Also, I have a huuuuge ferret cage that has a couple of floors, I think she would love it.

And I'm definatly thinking about keeping him now, I bought him a ring for his foot today incase he decides to fly off, however, If after all this he chooses to fly off, I wont try and stop him, I'll just make sure I do my best to keep him safe.

I also gave him a bath to paddle in earlier, which he didn't take to kindly too :P He wouldn't leave my chest for the next hour and half!

Take Care everyone,
    Dave.

Davii, i gave you the link because i thought it would help with the basic feeding,playing,sleeping and more.i hope it does.and if you have a question,i am sure it can be answered there as well.your welcome.

an outside enclosure for a bird would be called an Aviary.that's incredible,you saved a wood pigeon.those are awesome.i am not sure if a ferret cage would work,but i think it will,if that is what you have in mind.

a ring is good.if he flys off,do you think he will come back?i do.take my old cat,Lucky for an example.

for a bath for the baby crow,i would suggest a water bottle.i do this with Chubbie for her bath sometimes.turn the water bottle upside down,then spray.and the water will fall down on the baby crow.
    good luck.
    Celeste.
    i am birdbrain....just had my name changed. that's all. please click.....
    http://www.unicreatures.com/view.php?id=228408

Okay, The Ferret Cage.
    Its a big wooden frame.. I would say 8foot high by 5 foot wide. It has several floors with steps going up to them. The sides are covered in large wire mesh. That would only be for during the day, on a night I would probably bring him into a smaller aviary.

And yeah, there was a wood pidgeon outside my fathers workshop, with a broken wing, I tried to nurse it back to health, And it was looking promising, and it was so friendly! It would just sit on your shoulder and chirp in your ear happily. But then one day it just mysteriously died =/

If he was to fly off, I think he would probably come back actually, earlier I had him in the garden, and I walked to the other side and laid there. He happily waddled and hopped towards me and onto my hand. Friendly little feller hes getting!

He is also getting alot better at taking food and water. I'll can give him a full syringe full of water at a time, and he'll happily put his head back and swallow it as its going in, swinging his head from side to side.

I'll let everyone know about progress with him!

Dave

ok,the ferret cage and the aviary idea will work.

wow,that is amazing.do you have any ideas why the wood pigeon went to heaven?

that is so cute.does the baby crow sit on your hand and chirp?

Celeste.

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrain
    ok,the ferret cage and the aviary idea will work.

wow,that is amazing.do you have any ideas why the wood pigeon went to heaven?

that is so cute.does the baby crow sit on your hand and chirp?

Celeste.
    I have no idea why it died. The only thing I can think of is that it didn't take food very easily, there was quite a bit of force in the feeding and drinking. Maybe it didn't get enough?

And yeah the crow does! I take him everywhere with me in the car, just sat in a towel on my lap. I also got him out to feed this morning, and he wouldn't leave me! So I went and laid back in bed with him, he loved it!

Celeste.No,he didn't talk just chirped and he didn't do any tricks either.But I was very happy having him as a pet.I never had a bird that was so funny and loving and didn't make to much noise.I loved my umbrella cockatoo,too,she also was very loving but every time I got on the phone she started to scream and as soon as I got of the phone she stoped.That was the only thing that I didn't like about her.

Dave.I know that you are sad that the one bird died but that happens.I tried to save some other birds,too ( just a few ),and they didn't make it.Some times it works some times it doesn't.All you can do is your best.I'm glad to hear that he is doing a lot better now.Do you have a name for him yet ? I don't want to tell you what to do but please be careful that the ring isn't on there to tight.Give his leg some room to grow into because if his leg grows but the ring will stay the same sizes it will cut of the circulation of his let.That wouldn't be goo.Let me know if you want to have some info on how to make your own perch for your enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl
    Dave.I know that you are sad that the one bird died but that happens.I tried to save some other birds,too ( just a few ),and they didn't make it.Some times it works some times it doesn't.All you can do is your best.I'm glad to hear that he is doing a lot better now.Do you have a name for him yet ? I don't want to tell you what to do but please be careful that the ring isn't on there to tight.Give his leg some room to grow into because if his leg grows but the ring will stay the same sizes it will cut of the circulation of his let.That wouldn't be goo.Let me know if you want to have some info on how to make your own perch for your enclosure.
    I've attempted to save a few birds in the past too, From that larger wood pigeon to some very tiny babies that have possibly just been blown out the nest. But it comes to a point when they're so small you just can't help them.. everything I fed them was out a syringe and I had to pry open their beaks to get it in. I couldn't give it any solids because it would just choke on them. Its upsetting that the pigeon died, however, I'm just happy that I helped it to live that little bit longer.
    And the pet store explained about the rings, and about if they're too tight they swell up and stop circulation. I got one that was fairly big, (Big enough to easily go up and down her leg, but small enough to not slide over her foot joint) I think its big enough, but I'll keep an eye on it. If I have any doubts I'll take it off.
    Nope I haven't thought of a name.. maybe I'll make a competition for the best name? :P

I would be grateful for that link, just stick it in with the rest of the links you were going to send me :P (Thanks again for that )

Take Care,
    Dave.

Actually, I think I have a picture somewhere of the wood pigeon that I can scan on and show you all, He was a cute little guy.

Update..
    Here he is! [On my old mans shoulder ]

I'll take some more of my Crow a bit later and upload them too

That is a very nice looking bird.

awwwwwwwww,the wood pigeon is so adorable.i would have loved to have one of them.i can't wait to see the baby Crow pictures.