Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: You Know Your a Herper When ...

....when for any gift-giving holiday, you ask for lightbulbs and viv building materials!
    ....when you wake up to an adult dubia roach on your pillow - you get it back in it's bin, and go right back to sleep.

When you refer to your critters as your mother and fathers grandchildren.
    Or to refer to your sister & brother as there aunt & uncle.
    When friends and relatives invite you to their place and ask you if you can leave the kids at home. : )

Ain't it the truth. Another sure sign is when you opt for a bowl of Cheerios instead of roast beef so you can afford to buy meats for your Tegu. Been there and done that.
    A young man and his girl friend came by yesterday so he could show her my lizards. He complimented me on how neat and clean my lizard cages were. Mind you the house, my house is a terrible mess but man I keep my cages clean! HAHAHAHA

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

....you are thrilled when your bathtub is full of scales and sheets of of shed skin.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

...after finding said sheets of skin you show them off to anyone who happens to be around/in your house and contemplate pinning them to your wall.

You keep thinking one day i will have a whole reptile room but until then "Honey can you help me move the couch again?"
    You say things like "honey i found this breeder rack for rats on craigslist for 50 bucks and it comes w/ tubs I am actually saving money by getting this item"
    You go to repticon w/ a list like it was the grocery store
    Your local reptile shop knows you by name
    You see a pic of a lizard and immediately begin to debate on the identification
    You hear the words "honey the worms are escaping again" coming from the living room
    You know how annoying crickets really are
    You know exactly what to type into craigslist to find decent deals on things like rat breeder racks or reptile enclosures...
    You hate attempting to grow wax worms
    You have gone to the local hardware store and asked about different things for the enclosure you are building and then have to explain what you are doing and why you need the items you need
    You now own a infared thermo gun
    You also own snake hooks
    You also have some really really long hemostats or tongs
    You have bowls that you tell people "you don't want to use that for food"
    You have an entire freezer dedicated to dead things
    I could go on but i already sound looney!
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins

Default I've lost it

I think I have entered the crazy zone. I have been reading about play behavior in certain species of Varanus. In observing both Gordo and Eva it was apparent that they have an abiding interest in the toilet plunger, sanitized of course as well. They will stick their heads into it and lift it, roll it around, crawl on it and in short play with it....a sign of higher intelligence. Some time ago, I bought them their own toilet plunger just to be safe. They prefer the Mr. Clean brand by the way.

Today however, I took a good look in the mirror and saw a 63 year old man who has purchased a Mr. Clean Toilet Plunger just for his lizards looking back at me.....I think I have lost it. LOL
    They really do love their plunger by the way!

Oops, I almost forgot, I bought them their own toilet brush as well....they use it when shedding.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

Lol. I love reading those posts. Thank you everyone for keeping this going. I can relate to some of them very well.

Dana. As soon as I saw the words brush I thought they were going to use it to brush their teeth lol.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

You know Samantha, in spite of the countless claw scratches, a couple of bites and painful tail whips from Kinabo, it is so worth it. I am like a child immersed in a sense of wonder about these animals. When they come to me for warmth or attention or security, I feel so blessed that what are basically wild creatures honor me that way. Most people who don't own large lizards can't begin to understand.

I am going to post some thoughts in the other reptiles section about Kinabo and a few questions as well and would love your feed back.
    I hope you are feeling better.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

when you go through the weekly ads to see what produce and meats are bogo so you can make meals for your tegu...
    when you hate bugs but you raise them cause it makes your herps so happy
    when you walk into ANY store and immediately think... hmmm i could use that for my enclosure or hey that is a good deal on those water dishes (aka plastic bowls for a dollar)
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins