Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ferrets.

I used to have 2 ferrets and nobody ever smelled them when they came into my apartment. You could only smell them if you held them, but even then the smell would dissipate pretty quick.
    On a side note, I used to take many trips to cali (it all had to stop once I moved further away a few months ago) but they never checked my car. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to not be able to sneak one in.

I live on the border of California and Arizona and the check point on the I-10 right at the border is an agriculture check point. Maybe cover the cage before you get to it and as long as you have California plates and drive carefully, they wave you by before you even stop. The closest place in Arizona that you can get them from where I am would be Phoenix. So, yeah. Not hard to get ferrets into the state if you don't mind breaking the law.

I know this is an old thread, but I just adore ferrets! My daughter brought home two and I just ADORE them!!!! How fun are they?!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I totally agree, they are hilarious to watch. Talk about red light, green light lol most times they only have 2 speeds, stop and go! Whether they're interacting with you, each other or another pet they have a hard time keeping still. Other than when they're sleeping, when they stop they're just plotting their next move. Figuring out what to do, get into or steal and hoard next. Their little war dances and speed bumps are too cute, I miss mine every time I see one. Got some great memories though
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

My ladies both have chronic disease. They recently went to the vet and one is playing for the first time since we have had her (and prob for years). It is so much fun to see her enjoying herself and pulling off little war dances!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

I have owned five or so. Mine were from a breeder in New York who sell primarily to shops. They were neutered, discented and very much socialized. My source was a ferret rescue place close to me in Southern Idaho. The first one I had loved to play with the dogs. He would chase them and pounce on them and they would catch him and carry him in to the living room by his tail and the play fight would be on until someone got exhausted. I also had one who would run up my pant leg and gently nip be run down and out, across the room and look back at me wanting me to chase him. He slept in my sock drawer. I really miss them but almost all of them got cancer and died at 6-7 years old.
    The candle that burns brightest...... I sort of tear up just thinking about them.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

I know what you mean...they really grow on you for some reason.

These two came from a girl my daughter tutored for Freshman Comp in exchange for the ferrets. Well, if this was the THIRD time the girl was taking the class, we should have figured the ferrets were going to be rough. They were kept outside (it gets 92 here quite often) with no interaction, no litterbox, no substrate, and fed rat food. o_O. We've had them for 5 months now and turned them around quite a bit, but they are about 3 and 6yo, one has adrenal disease and the other has insulinoma. Our very first ferret was killed in an accident which just broke my heart. My daughter got these as a special present for me. Now a very expensive present, lol!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

Hrm unless I was so used to it, I didn't notice the smell everyone mentions. We used to bring our ferrets to work with us everyday. Mocha, Scooter and Mordekai. They sure used to love eating ferret-vit.

Funniest thing I ever did, was tie a helium-filled balloon to Mordekai's tail...when he moved, he thought it was chasing him...That little guy was flipping, jumping and trying to get the balloon, running all over, bouncing off the furniture!

What good times...Ferrets are some of the coolest pets you can possibly own and I still don't know about the smell...and we had one live to be 7 years old.
    "I like my Beer English, my cars German and my tegus Colombian"

Ally - adult B&W
    Skoobz - juvie "Gold" Colombian
    Tai - juvie "Black and White" Colombian

We keep the cage pretty clean. We only bathe them once a month...maybe. It seems the more you bathe them, the more oils they produce. Also found out our girls had ear mites which were making a smelly ear...not gross smelly, just a little extra waxy. I like the way they smell, which may be weird. It's like a coffee/weasely/mocha smell.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets