Thread: Earthworms?

Default Earthworms?

ok, lets see who's got some obscure knowledge for me?

my waterdragon spyro has a crap feeding response. he's an insectavore, not supposed to eat fish and turkey and tegu stuff. but i can't get him to eat kingworms, nor can i feed him crickets as they get out of his cage. so for months i've been feeding him fish of all sorts ie: smelts goldfish guppies and talipia. he rarely will ever eat a kingworm.

a week ago i had a revalation. i bought night crawlers from a local bait fridge.

he went absolutlly Ape**** over the worms, stuffing them down his throat 3 at a time. eating as many as i've put in the tank EVEN EATING FROM MY HAND!! (just so you know he's jumpy and kinda hates me.) his belly is now bloated full and he has just started a full body shed, something he hasn't done in months! his colors went from drab brown to steel blue
    (You bet this thread is getting some before and after pics when i get home.)
    so what i need to know is can i use earthworms as a staple food source? are they nutritious? do they contain preformed vitamin A? are there any risks associated with baitworm nightcrawlers used as a staple food source?

any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
    1.1.0 Arg B/W Tegu Joker n Groxy
    1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon "Spyro"
    1.0.0 Red Eared Slider "Turdy"
    0.0.0 White Dwarf Hamster "MiMi" R.I.P.
    1.1.0 Black&Albino Kingsnakes "Pearl & Hannibal"

this is a before pic, he has allready shedded most of his head so you can kinda see what i'm talking about with the steel blue color.

i'll get you a pic of his new body color tonight or tomarrow.

Ok, so i picked most the shed off his back, NOW LOOK AT HIM!!!

you can see the shed line on his tail for a contrast on the color.

and now a closeup cause he's so pretty!

Hey Awesome Pics ! I'm afraid I don't know about waterdragons but he sure is a handsome fella ! pehaps these pics will inspire me to learn.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

Default feeding

earth worms are a good source of calcium, but I would not introduce this as a staple of food items. I too use night crawlers to give to my tegu's as treats once in a while. Other than them whipping them back and forth and having pieces fly at you. They love them.

Your water dragon looks very healthy from the looks of it, plus the tail is nice and fat, meaning he is definatly not starving himself.

Best of luck to you.
    Ed
    1.1.0 Snow boas
    1.0.0 albino boa
    4.2.0 salmon/Hypo boas
    0.1.0 DH sunglow
    0.1.0 BCI
    0.0.1 Anery corn
    0.0.1 Motley sunglow corn

0.0.2 Extreme giant tegu's
    1.0.0 BW tegu
    0.1.0 Blue Tegu
    3.2.0 beardies
    sandfire, snow, rankins, german giants

3.0.0 dogs : ChowChow and Shi Tzu's

I wouldn't see why earth worms wouldn't be a great staple being that it is a great or A+ for protein. I would say yes and the fact that water dragons do live in wet climate that would assure that any type of high humid insect would be there source of insects. Have you tried the big roaches? and I know that some Water dragons like greens. And If you are having trouble with feeding insects in your cage may be it would be a good idea to tub feed and that way he will start to like you handling him.

lol, like clockwork 45 seconds of being held and he takes a crap. i can actually say my dragon uses the toilet cause after picking him up i just walk over and he goes poo.

i don't believe he'll eat crickets after i hold him, i'll try it. but he's kinda nervous, like moments away from flying through the air.

end of september a reptile show is coming around, i hope to get a roach colony then.