Thread: some feeding q's

Default some feeding q's

hey guys, Are rodents good to feed baby tegus as a staple? Any what's a good STAPLE for adult tegus?
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources

true. i want to know that as well. is it ok to have staples or do you have to have a freakin plethora of different foods for him.
    like, i plan to feed him pinkies and superworms with random fruits. is that good? (of course when he gets bigger, ill move to fuzzies, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by corn-ball
    true. i want to know that as well. is it ok to have staples or do you have to have a freakin plethora of different foods for him.
    like, i plan to feed him pinkies and superworms with random fruits. is that good? (of course when he gets bigger, ill move to fuzzies, etc.)
    I know what you mean. I have no clue what a good staple for adult tegus should be. My guess would be rodents IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by corn-ball
    that's good. tegus are meat eaters as hatchlings till about the first year.
    .....lol. I would not go as far as a superfluity amount of foods.
    for hatchlings: crickets, mealworms, super mealworms, ground turkey, pinkie mice and captive raised roaches should do it.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

Default Re: some feeding q's

Quote Originally Posted by rrcoolj
    hey guys, Are rodents good to feed baby tegus as a staple? Any what's a good STAPLE for adult tegus?
    I think there should be some balance in their diet. perhaps rodents 2 -3 times a week.

hatchling are mentioned above. do you have a list of what adult tegus can eat ?
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus

Pinkies are a great start and great source of calcium every other day or like angelroses schedule and then up the size after 3 months. :wink:

so far I know adult tegus can eat...
    ground turkey
    mice
    cooked eggs
    fresh fish(not from pet shop)
    baby chikens
    tomatos
    strawberries
    melons
    and maybe superworms
    My question is how much of thier diet should be fruit and/or vegetable matter? Should I be feeding more fruit/vegetables than meat? What foods can I use consistently?

Hi rr, fruit/veggies should be fed in moderation. imo, once or twice a week if the tegu will even eat it. some tegus go their whole lives and don't eat fruit and they are healthy. if your tegu will take fruit that is good. I would not get so hung up on it.

I would say rodents, quail, fish fillet, turkey and all the organ meat they want such as gizzards, hearts and liver.

with the use of a good source of UVB.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus

Here is What I pulled from ricks care sheet who is the owner of this site. :wink:

Feeding & Diet Requirements

Tegus should have a large variety in their diet. Tegus do require Calcium supplements and Vitamin D3 supplements. These supplements are available at any pet shop in the form of a fine powder. Calcium powder should be used for two days, on the third day use Vitamin D3 powder, then for the next two days use the Calcium, etc. etc. So basically.. Monday & Tuesday use Calcium supplements on the food. On Wednesday use Vitamin D3 supplements. On Thursday & Friday use Calcium supplements. On Saturday use Vitamin D3, on and on. Do not use the Vitamin D3 every day as it can cause an overdose. I sprinkle supplements on everything except whole food items (rodents, fish, etc)

My tegus diet consist of "Fruit & Meat" every meal. I feed once a day and I allow the tegu to eat as much as it wants to for that one meal. I place the food in a large plastic bin. I then take the tegu out of the enclosure and hold it for a few minutes. Then place the tegu into the bin that already has the food. This avoids any association of you or your hand, with the food. It also avoids the territorial behavior that a tegu can get if it is fed into its enclosure. As a further benefit, it avoids accidental ingestion of substrate, which can cause impaction.

There are many things a tegu can have.. but here is what my tegus diet normally includes...

Meats:

• Prekilled (Frozen/Thawed Rodents) ** Do not feed live rodents **
    • Insects (Crickets, Roaches, Superworms)
    • Lean Raw Ground Turkey

Fruits:

• Strawberry
    • Grapes
    • Melons
    • Banana
    • Kiwi
    • Blueberry
    • Raspberries

An example week of feeding would be..

Monday : F/T Rodents & Diced Strawberries
    Tuesday : Discoid Roaches & Diced Grapes
    Wednesday : Lean Raw Ground Turkey & Cut up Cantaloupe
    Thursday : F/T Rodents & Sliced Banana
    Friday : Crickets & Chopped Kiwi
    Saturday : Lean Raw Ground Turkey & Blueberries
    Sunday : F/T Rodents & Raspberries

There are other items that can be used as treats, but shouldn't be part of the tegus regular diet.. Eggs (boiled, scrambled or raw), Potatoes (boiled, mashed, etc. Do NOT feed raw potatoes), Clean Fish, etc. You should search the forums here on TheTegu.com for more food ideas.