Thread: Photos now...and more about aggression?

Default Photos now...and more about aggression?

Alrighty, Here are a few photos to give you a background etc on this guy. Hes an Arg. BW, had him since a baby. Here he is as a small baby (and I though he was BIG!)

Well, since then, I have built a cage for him finally that is 8 ft by 5 ft by 2.5 ft (which is the biggest I could do). Here are two photos of the cage:

and the inside (the square cutout in the middle of the photo is his feeding door):

and here is a photo of him from April this year:

and finally the ones I took minutes ago:

He is maybe just a year old this month. I do NOT think he is full grown at all yet, and still has a lot of growing to do. He hibernated last winter as well. He has not been, nor has he ever, opened his mouth at me or opened and hissed, nor bitten me on purpose or accident. He huffs real bad when I scrounge him up from under the substrate (*which Im ?not? going to do anymore? <--wondering if its a bad idea*). He huffs occassionally when I pet him in his cage, but never runs away when Im in the room and he is basking or whatnot, he just sits and watches. I have always handled him, but recently he has been a bit jumpy and seems not to want to stay in my hands, but instead get down and explore. I knew he went through a stage like that earlier, could it be another? I want to be able to control him, and the bigger he gets the more doubt I get if he keeps acting up. I never get angry with him, because he is just a big fat cute little thing, lol. He HATES me picking him up and squirms and once he has even deathrolled outta my hands. I know they dont like being picked up, so Im sure its normal. My few suggestions (for myself and for others to critique so to speak) is that maybe I get a chair in the basement where I can pick him up and sit him on my lap, keeping him there. Also maybe I could get a little ham/bacon/turkey that he loves so much and feed a little of that OUTSIDE the cage once he is being good. Let me know!

David

I get a chair in the basement where I can pick him up and sit him on my lap
    Yeah that is a good idea. He's a good looking boy, I really like his head shape.

Two of my tegus huff at me when I come to pick them up...but they don't bite or anything...I just think they have to protest before cooperating...just the tegu way.
    Elliot

1.2.0 blues
    1.0.0 red
    0.2.0 family

...and way too many fish

Well, from what I see, your HE is actually a SHE. And although I'm not an expert on taming tegus (I personally don't care if they're bloodthirsty or puppy-dog tame) it has been my experience that males tame a lot easier than females do.

Well, from what I see, your HE is actually a SHE.
    Based on what?
    Elliot

1.2.0 blues
    1.0.0 red
    0.2.0 family

...and way too many fish

Head shape, body shape. I'll admit, I could be fully wrong, I've seen the occassional male with that configurement, but 9 times out of 10, that's how a female looks.

He/She is a great looking Tegu :wink:
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Albino"
    1.1.0 Ball Python 100% "Het Albino"
    1.2.0 Ball Python "Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Cinnamon Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Spider"
    0.2.0 Ball Python "Normal"