Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tegu Species

Quote Originally Posted by tupinambis
    I'll post whereever I'm welcome to post the facts. Evidently Bobby took huge exception to my last post that proved he was lying, deleted it and banned me from his site. No loss.

I don't believe there are any T.duseni available in the pet trade, I haven't seen any but there are other people out there that would know better than I about what is or isn't available in the pet trade. I got out of that business years ago on ethical grounds and sanity reasons. As for why they aren't in the trade, that answer is simple. As far as I know, T.duseni only exists in Brazil, and right now, Brazil has immense restrictions on what may or may not leave the country. And rightfully so; many US "scientists" have royally screwed over Brazil in many, many ways, and so the Brazilian policy has been to basically clamp down on any kind of biological trade. You should see the hoops we have to jump through to get our animals out of Brazil, and we're dealing with captive bred individuals.
    thank you for explaining it so well. I always wanted to know why we have some but not the others. as usual, you explained it very well. when I see your name I am always eager to see what you have written. we want the best care for our loved tegus and would appreciate your time. help and advice.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

I'm sure we all want the best for our animals, none need to suffer. I just feel there is a big difference between cautionary postings or intellectual explorations, and outright conjecture. Conjecture posted as fact is dangerous, in my eyes.

As for keeping tegus outdoors having a negative impact on them wanting to interact with people, I think I would tend to agree with that. However, that stated, in my original study, I interacted as little as possible with my tegus in order to have as natural tegus as possible in a captive environment (weighing them maybe once a month, tossing food into their pens, adjusting antennae and data loggers as needed) and whereas I'll admit none of my animals ever became tame or friendly, there were a few, and particularly one, that although would threaten, would calm down relatively well once held. Then again, I appreciate the animal for what it intrinsically is, not whether it's friendly or not. Clearly, though, people like Rick and Bobby have great success with animals even when kept outdoors, so it is possible. I think it's a matter of how familiar they are with their keeper. If you only spend an hour a day interacting, I wouldn't be expecting puppy tegus outdoors.

Hey tupinambis! I like your post and all the great information that you bring on TheTegu. :wink:
    I was thinking about your herpetologist job. I have a question for you! :!:

What is the part, that you enjoyed the most during your Tegu's study?

thank you!
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Yea, if I had it to do again I'd wait until he'd been socialized to people more and certainly more accustomed to me. However, now I feel it would be mean to take him out of the enclosure and put him back into an indoor cage. Right now he's got almost 81 square feet of home I can't imagine putting him into an 8X4.

I do take him out all weekend, but during the week it's just a hello if I happen to see him. When I approach his enclosure, so long as it's not fast and noisy, he simply stares at me and does what ever he does best.

Today a lizard go in and he tore around the whole enclosure trying to get it, very destructive, the lizard go away too.

I do like just watching him do his thing.
    1.0.0 B&W
    0.0.1 CA Horned Lizard
    0.0.1 Savannah Monitors
    2.0.0 Cats
    0.1.0 Wife
    1.0.0 Child

i can't believe bobby banned you for that, i thought it added a ton of information to the thread, you'd think he'd want someone scientific to debate over the finer points. a good debate leaves evereyone smarter than they were before.

well glad you're here.
    1.1.0 Arg B/W Tegu Joker n Groxy
    1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon "Spyro"
    1.0.0 Red Eared Slider "Turdy"
    0.0.0 White Dwarf Hamster "MiMi" R.I.P.
    1.1.0 Black&Albino Kingsnakes "Pearl & Hannibal"

Well, although Bobby does care about tegus and wanting to help people out, he's more concerned about his reputation and being seen as a "tegu god". He does have good husbandry and produces wonderful animals, but his understanding of biology, or science for that matter, is extremely lacking. He actually has quite a "reputation" amongst some of my colleagues; they read his stuff for a good laugh. It's a shame he doesn't realize he'd have more respect and a better reputation if he didn't conjecture so much with outlandish statements. But, it is his site, he can banish anyone he wants for whatever reason he wants, it's his reputation. I wish him well in his business, I hope he does more good than harm.

As for what part of my study I enjoyed the most.....that's kind of a loaded question. So many things were so equally wonderful, and yet could be so absolutely dreadful. The facility I was at has an incredible array of animals, I got to work with caiman of 4 different species, tortoises, anacondas, rattlesnakes, fer-de-lance, turtles, amphisbaenids, fruit bats, vampire bats, armadillos....I was like a kid in a candy store. And yet at the same time, the care of most of those animals was left to students who sometimes just did not have respect for them. The year before I got there, the girl responsible for that year's tegu's hatchlings essentially let about 800 animals die from negligence. I got to see tegu species first hand that very few people in the world have seen, and yet also realize the sad nature of some of their states. For example, it is hard to tell the state of Tupinambis longilineus as there has only ever been maybe a dozen individuals seen as I understand it. Our facility had some of the few Tupinambis quadrilineatus ever seen, 4 females and a male, and unfortunately the male died before they bred. Then there was the matter of conservation of any species in conflict with the needs/desires of the people. Brazil has a lot of poverty, a lot of ignorance and superstition in it's people, and this creates a bad scenario. The scientists are well trained and educated, most are very concerned over the conservation of animals, but they can't compete with commonly held views like how most people think boa constrictors give birth to all the other snakes, both poisonous and non-poisonous, and so they attack the boas with ruthlessness. Or how most lizards are somehow poisonous and should also be destroyed. When it comes down to the welfare of a reptile or the wellbeing of someone who's monthly income was ~$20, well, I'm sure you can see who wins out. It was both a wonderful and saddening experience.

Wow, except the sad part :( The rest is just awesome, I wish I could study in herpetology after my college study. Unfortunatly, herpetology is not offer in the University of Quebec :(

However, thank you for sharing your story!
    Ben

ben3233: check for programs in zoology. im going to college this fall for zoology and then im going to specify in grad school. im actually kinda torn at the moment though on the issue of going prevet or staying with zoology. i would love to be a reptile vet but i also want to study them. lol what to do what to do. lol :lol:
    "To be great is to be misunderstood. . ."

Yes, I saw that program in the McGill University. Seems to be interesting, but at the end of August, I am going to start my Animal Health study. I will see if, being a vet techinicien is fun or if not, I will take some more course to be able to study in Zoology or Biology. :wink:

Thanks!
    Ben

tupinambis merianae - is a blue tegu one time thought to be a tupinambis teguixin.
    I think it was until 2001 the Argentine was in the same boat. I just bought 01: Monitors, Tegus, and Related Lizards
    02: General Care and Maintenance of Popular Monitors & Tegus
    and there was still quite a bit of confusion there. I saw a few issues with the loreal scales in some pictures with their respective captions.

You know most people refer to grown Red tegus as looking like pink pigs or hamburger meat so you say yours keep the distinct paters well into adulthood.
    Bummer, I know I'm gonna love my 4' meat wad but I was hoping for something that would be darker.