Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cypress multch

NO cypress mulch in CA, I've used mixes. Usually orchid with soil.
    1.0.0 B&W
    0.0.1 CA Horned Lizard
    0.0.1 Savannah Monitors
    2.0.0 Cats
    0.1.0 Wife
    1.0.0 Child

no guilt here. cypress is the best substrate for tegu's, and i'm not using hundreds of cu's of the stuff. landscapers have alternitives, groxy says i have no alternatives. my lizard demands the best. and if i don't provide it, she'll have my legs broke.
    1.1.0 Arg B/W Tegu Joker n Groxy
    1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon "Spyro"
    1.0.0 Red Eared Slider "Turdy"
    0.0.0 White Dwarf Hamster "MiMi" R.I.P.
    1.1.0 Black&Albino Kingsnakes "Pearl & Hannibal"

Thank you for posting this, Alek, altho bad news. :( We use orchid bark, which I believe comes from fir trees. We use fine grade. There is one brand that is cleaner than others, like they sift it. It says on the package that it is organic, and I think it's a Canadian company. I'm sorry I can't recall the name; starts with an O. Holds moisture really well. If the bag isn't completely sealed on the store shelf, I pour it in an old roasting pan, heavy spray with water and cook it like it suggests on anapsid.com 250 degrees for 50 min-- spray occassionally). Works great.

Thank you, I do care about global worming and the wealth of our great pets.

dude have u seen oregon, oregon state says we r about to run out of trees ha lol

yea, global worming is important. the worms are getting out of hand and they must be suppressed.

if they outlaw cypress mulch, i'll get a wood mulcher and cut down my own cypress trees. Al Gore will not compromise my tegu's bedding.
    1.1.0 Arg B/W Tegu Joker n Groxy
    1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon "Spyro"
    1.0.0 Red Eared Slider "Turdy"
    0.0.0 White Dwarf Hamster "MiMi" R.I.P.
    1.1.0 Black&Albino Kingsnakes "Pearl & Hannibal"

Hello all, I'm kinda new around here....but I just switched from Zoo meds cypress mulch to Zoo meds repti bark. Which is triple screened fir bark.

Has any one else used this. I really didn't switch for any particluar reason. However, this mulch has small, all the same size pieces and good quality. The cypress mulch has lots of inconsistencies and there were huge sticks, big chunks and small pieces. The repti bark seems easier for my tegu to burrow in. I was just wondering if any one else here uses it.

Rob

Hi Shlink.I couldn't find any cypress mulch at that time and I know that eucalyptus mulch is save to use,too,so I bought some organic brown eucalyptus mulch.It was ok.It didn't hold the humidity very well.A few days later I wanted to get some more (the first time I got that mulch it was for Zeus enclosrue and the second time it was for Leonidas ) but they were out of the brown one so I had to buy the red one.It also sad organic on it.The next day Leonidas was all red and when it was time for Leonidas to shed he didn't had a very good shed.I found some cypress mulch and I cleaned out both enclosures and put the new mulch in there and Leonidas is shedding better now.I mist down both of the mulches the same way and I will stick with cypress.

Hi Rob ( october ).Welcome to the Tegu forum family and it's nice to have you as a new addition to our family.I used the reptibark when we first got our first Tegu.After he got impacted from it ( if was my fault.I fed him inside the enclosure ) and it started to be very expensive ( I clean all of my enclosures once a month but spot clean every day ).With the cypress mulch from wallmart I get allot more mulch for allot less money.I did noticed that the cypress mulch at Home Depot had allot of big sticks in it.That's why I get it at Wallmart.

Hello txrepgirl.. I was actually using the zoo med pure cypress mulch. Then I switched to the fir bark. I am only really trying out the repti bark (fir bark). I am thinking of switching back to the cypress mulch. I mean, I have no real reason to switch back. However, something, for some reason, seems to be telling me to switch back to the cypress mulch.

Rob

It doesn't hurt to fallow your instinct :wink: .We are very lucky that we get to use the cypress mulch because allot of members can't even find it in they're state.Please let me know witch one you like better.