Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Has anybody seen a Col. and Arg. TEGU X? Is it possible?

Quote Originally Posted by pokeystotle View Post
    But why? It's like the people that cross breed dog breeds. Why would you do that? Do these people have any idea how long it took to breed some of these dogs to be what they are today? Probably not.

People are cross breeding raptors as well. Ferruginous hawks, and red tails, peregrine falcons with Gyrs, merlins, prairies....I hate it personally. It muddles things up, and makes them usually much worse.
    Well pokeystotle, I am very much in favor of cross-breeding dogs. I assume its very different with falcons, but dog breeds were produced by years and years of inbreeding, which also caused uncountable health problems. Such as hip dysplasia in large dog breeds, and breathing problems in pugs and bulldogs and skin problems in breeds like charpees. crossbreeding allows the health problems to dissipate and it is proven that "muts" live longer and healthier lives.
    0.0.1 extreme giant tegu
    1.1.0 ball pythons
    0.1.0 corn snake
    1.0.0 leopard gecko
    1.1.0 crested geckos
    0.1.2 red eared slider

yeah... id love to see a col. arg cross.. i think that the person would have to have a big col male and a nice arg female.. it might be possible..
    0.1.0 Col. Tegu
    0.1.1 Arg. Tegu
    0.2.0 Leos
    0.0.1 Spotted Python
    0.0.1 Painted Turtle

I have a B&W Colombian male that bred an B&W Argentine female that my friend thinks is possibly gravid. (this was purely by accident while they were soaking in the tub together.) Will let you know what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by bubbategu2 View Post
    I have a B&W Colombian male that bred an B&W Argentine female that my friend thinks is possibly gravid. (this was purely by accident while they were soaking in the tub together.) Will let you know what happens...
    Has the female laid eggs yet and if she has did they hatch

The female was given to a third party but wasnt gravid, or at least I hadnt heard it was

in my opinion they can never cross breed as they both develop at different rates & temps in their eggs.
    the Argen is around 120 days at a temp in the 90's / the Colom is around 170 days at a temp in the 80's

so i am no geneticist, but i dont see how it would ever work out.
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Just to start off my opinion here I am a very anti hybrid person. I do not believe it is right nor morally correct to do. However, I have seen one tegu that looked strange, kind of like what I think an Arg. X Col. would look like. I'll snap pics of it next time I see it and post them. However, boas X pythons are not possible. It's simply logic. To say they are doesn't even make sense. Boas give live birth. Pythons lay eggs. Not possible to cross. Enough said. I do think Arg. X Col. would be possible but I have no idea why someone would ruin a perfectly good clutch with those crossed genetics. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by TeguKid80 View Post
    Just to start off my opinion here I am a very anti hybrid person. I do not believe it is right nor morally correct to do. However, I have seen one tegu that looked strange, kind of like what I think an Arg. X Col. would look like. I'll snap pics of it next time I see it and post them. However, boas X pythons are not possible. It's simply logic. To say they are doesn't even make sense. Boas give live birth. Pythons lay eggs. Not possible to cross. Enough said. I do think Arg. X Col. would be possible but I have no idea why someone would ruin a perfectly good clutch with those crossed genetics. IMHO.

I couldn't agree more. Common sense boas & pythons cant cross, never have never will. I personally am a fan of certain hybrids (carball or carpondro carpet x chondro gtp) I also love the hybrid tegus (red x blue) or all americans. But crossing something like a col. to arg. seems pointless. low demand for columbians vs. peoples fav. argentines. id pay $100 for one just to have but $250+ seems like it would be a waste of money. Its like buying off brand its ok but not the real deal.
    My tegu's are smarter than your honor student!
    Please hit LIKE on my page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keys-K...9581724?ref=ts
    Check out my youtube channel aswell http://www.youtube.com/user/STLherps

1.1. Blue Tegus
    0.1 Red Tegu
    0.1 Black & White Tegu
    0.1 Striped AFT
    0.1.2 Crested Geckos
    0.1 100% DBL het Leather beardie
    0.1 Red Tranz beardie
    1.0 Hypo Leather 100% het tranz beardie

Yeah I would accept one free but I sure wouldn't pay for one. I love the blues you produced btw they look great STLherps(I think that was you).