Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many???

Default How many???

Hi, I just got my Argentine black and white tegu in the mail today, about an hour ago and hes already wanting to eat. The tegu is only about 11 inches and still green and i was wondering how many adult lobster roaches i should feed it each day? Should I feed it untill it is "full" or will it not stop eating like fish?

Hi Deafbum, I'm so happy for you ! you got your baby arg; that's great. I do know that you should feed those lil' green heads till their bellies are full.
    'lobster roaches' ...I have to tell you I am not a 'bug' person. but if the shell is real hard I would go easy cause of digestion.

you know there are other things. such as, the crickets, worms, ground turkey, chicken (all raw) and some hard boiled or scrambled egg oh of course pinkies.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

I have about 2000 lobster roaches for my tegu Their shells are softer then that of crickets so an impaction should not be a problem

How mutch is ground turkey anyway?

2000 ... 8O . ok, then place a couple in at a time and let him eat them and then just add a couple at a time as to not stress him out.

ground turkey is very inexpensive. hatchlings are carnivores maybe for the first year.

btw, you know we will expect pics .... :wink:
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus

i give mine a cople crickets some times
    one arg b&w tegu oreo
    4 dogs ruby, jake, and of corse my rolie
    3 rabbits
    7 chickens
    2 ducks
    and 4 breeder rats

Default RE: pics

I will try to get some pics, but he is always in his hide box unless im feeding him . Do you think hes in there all the time bacause a basking temperature of 115 is to high?

well, give the baby a chance to break in his new home and adjust. let him check you out.

the temps could range 90 - 110 basking than 70 cool end with the moist hide box I always say good for shedding and it's their 'safety'
    that way they can regulate their own temperature.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus

yesterday my tegu ate a bunch and was basking most of the day, but today he has been sleeping alot. Is it because of hibernation or because he is shedding?

OK, IMO feed the bugs until he/she is full. Baby's should be let too eat quite a bit more than adults, fed everyday and fed until there little bellies are nice and round. This is not the same for adult, but that's a different story.

Remember in the wild tegus eat bugs more than anything else.

Turkey is a good secondary food choice but whole food should IMO be the primary source of food.

If he's hibernating he won't come out, he'll go down and be down for months on end. If he's coming out and eating every so often, then no hibernation. Remember, Tegus spend most of their lives burrowed, either hibernating, as much as 7 months of the year and just kicking it underground about 80% of the day. They come out, forage, eat, bask and then go to ground.
    1.0.0 B&W
    0.0.1 CA Horned Lizard
    0.0.1 Savannah Monitors
    2.0.0 Cats
    0.1.0 Wife
    1.0.0 Child

So it is normal for them to be underground during the daytime if they are not hibernating?