Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: god i hate people some times

i understand what people mean, we have a choice, snakes don't. to eat, a snake must capture and suffocate a mouse. not the most humane death, but it is what is avalable to the snake.

as a human, you have the option to kill the mouse painlessly. to show appreciation for that mouses life and respect for all life you put the mouse to sleep in a Co2 box, and he floats away on a fluffy and sleepy cloud of painless dreams. never even knowing that he died. wouldn't that be nice? and wouldn't you want that same loving treatment if you were in little chuck e cheezes position? yea, we'd all be so lucky to die that softly.

but hey a hammer to the cranium is allmost as fast. sure, their's that O-**** moment where the mouse realizes it's skull is flat, it can't see and their's blood leaking out of every oriface. but hey thats life. it's still faster than being suffocated.

moral of the Story? mice are the bottom of the food chain. if one has died of old age, mother nature made a mistake. how they're killed doesn't matter as long as it's quick and for a purpose. as a human, you decide according to your own morals. i would love to gas em. but i can never remember to get the damn co2 bottle, so i have a hammer till i do.
    1.1.0 Arg B/W Tegu Joker n Groxy
    1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon "Spyro"
    1.0.0 Red Eared Slider "Turdy"
    0.0.0 White Dwarf Hamster "MiMi" R.I.P.
    1.1.0 Black&Albino Kingsnakes "Pearl & Hannibal"

i prefer to shoot them. the bullet goes right through and it's painless.
    0.1.0 Savannah Monitor
    1.0.0 Blacklined Plated Lizard
    1.0.0 Green Iguana
    0.1.0 Four lined plated lizard
    0.0.1 Desert Horned Lizard
    1.0.2 Leopard Geckos
    0.0.1 African Fat Tailed Gecko
    0.1.0 Columbian Tegu
    -And ALOT More Herps

i'd be afraid the bullet would frag off a little and give my tegu lead poisoning.

I agree with worldeater,

I understand that many people think that mice are on the base of the food chain. But, I must say that feeding captive bred reptile with lived mice isn't the real "rule of nature"

Why? Because in nature, the herps have to work hard to survive. So killing a mouse or other prey is their only way to survive. I never saw a mouse, looking at his predator and say: hey cmon ! eat me, I won't defend myself, just try to kill me fast please!

Then again, do you think that in nature, the mouse will be trapped in a 6X3X3Feet enclosure?

Just like Worldeater said, I think that every one of us, would like to die as painlessly as a killed mouse on Co2.

But this is only my opinion, so, just take it as a grain of salt :wink:
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

A CO2 chamber is very easy to make and should only cost around $40. Try your hand at it. Here is a very nice write up on how to do so.
    http://www.sammygreggreptiles.com/co2.html
    That's the thing about being taken under the wing of a dragon. It's warmer than you'd think.

some times i just smake there head with a hammer i dont feed mice anymore i feed rats and there harder to kill sometimesso smash um or cash um
    one arg b&w tegu oreo
    4 dogs ruby, jake, and of corse my rolie
    3 rabbits
    7 chickens
    2 ducks
    and 4 breeder rats

Rat $4
    ziplock freezer bags $3
    co2 tank with baloon filling adapter, $15
    the smile on my tegus face when she knows she's getting a rat today Priceless

wow i can't believe how this thread went inactive!
    i get chewed up all the time about feeding live or "inhumanely" killing rodents
    i got harassed by members of PETA for purchasing a rabbit while i was pet sitting my friends reticulated python. apparently its cruel to feed snakes bunnies
    it was great seeing their faces after explaining rodents breed quick because of their short lifespans and that reptiles need food too

after that, i bought my first large snake. a baby albino burmese python (named cornbread)

Feeding live adult mice or rats to your reptile can be dangerous for the reptile, and should be discouraged based on those grounds. Any animal that will take frozen/thawed, should! If you think a predatory reptile needs some behavioral enrichment, hold the f/t rodent in a pair of tongs and drag it around the enclosure for a simulated hunt. It only takes one bad mouse bite to get infected and kill an animal.

That said, there is a difference, in my opinion, between believing an animal has an absolute right to life and believing an animal has a right to be treated humanely. I don't think a pinky mouse has an absolute right to stay alive, but I do believe it has a right to be handled (including slaughtered) with as little stress and pain as possible. Carbon dioxide gassing has been shown not to cause fear or pain (by the absence of elevated cortisol in the blood after slaughter). Another method to kill rodents with minimal stress is by snapping the neck; one can take a mouse by the tail and, using a very quick flick of the wrist, separate the skull from the spinal cord. This causes virtually instant death.

Personally, I am a vegetarian--I have the choice to be one. For those in my care who don't have that choice, I will seek meat from animals slaughtered with minimal stress. There is nothing "cool" about making oneself hardened to the consideration of the pain of the Other--even if the Other is the bottom of the food chain.
    I enjoy the company of large and dangerous creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaimsMom
    Feeding live adult mice or rats to your reptile can be dangerous for the reptile, and should be discouraged based on those grounds. Any animal that will take frozen/thawed, should! If you think a predatory reptile needs some behavioral enrichment, hold the f/t rodent in a pair of tongs and drag it around the enclosure for a simulated hunt. It only takes one bad mouse bite to get infected and kill an animal.

That said, there is a difference, in my opinion, between believing an animal has an absolute right to life and believing an animal has a right to be treated humanely. I don't think a pinky mouse has an absolute right to stay alive, but I do believe it has a right to be handled (including slaughtered) with as little stress and pain as possible. Carbon dioxide gassing has been shown not to cause fear or pain (by the absence of elevated cortisol in the blood after slaughter). Another method to kill rodents with minimal stress is by snapping the neck; one can take a mouse by the tail and, using a very quick flick of the wrist, separate the skull from the spinal cord. This causes virtually instant death.

Personally, I am a vegetarian--I have the choice to be one. For those in my care who don't have that choice, I will seek meat from animals slaughtered with minimal stress. There is nothing "cool" about making oneself hardened to the consideration of the pain of the Other--even if the Other is the bottom of the food chain.
    That's an excellent point, ChaimsMom There are plenty of videos on the net showing what might be termed gruesome killings of rats, mice, etc by various predators,(Tegus, Monitors, boas, pythons, etc). On the other hand, I wouldn't feed frozen/thawed prey to anything...ever ( Just my opinion)
    Mice are killed instantly by the snap of a finger, to be offered, still kicking to the predator. ( Predators are notoriously inefficient killers, creating long sloppy deaths to their prey as well as risking injury to themselves)
    Rats are instantly killed by body slams to the floor, to be offered, still kicking to the predator. I have little use for C02 chambers,with the exception of predators that are expected to be handled, such as Tegus and some Monitors. In those cases, 'still kicking' may create an accelerated prey drive in the predator, which in turn may lead to accidental bite incidents with the handler. IMO freshly killed (FK) prey whether 'kicking' or not is always to be preferred over F/T.
    IMO there is a huge qualitative difference in the food value of FK over F/T
    both on a physiological and psychological (as it were) basis).
    I have been keeping various predators for some 40 years now and I have no interest in 'watching it kill something'...indeed, I have no real interest in the feeding process at all except as it pertains to the continued
    health and well-being of the animal being fed.
    And...that's all I have to say about that.
    "Be mindful of your thoughts.
    Thoughts crystallize into habit and
    habit solidifies into circumstance."