Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: god i hate people some times

Well as a rat owner, I actually don't agree with you on several points,

Rats are usually very clean, and the only time they smell is when someone is irresponsible and don't clean their cages.

Ours don't terrorize our house, they hardly even leave our sides when given "free roam time"

I think you just have the generalized "rats = eww" opinion, If we generalize everything, than we would be a truly ignorant race.

and I would have to agree with everyone that says there are better ways to kill them, although I can't tell you what to do, but I don't see how you haven't been over come by guilt.

and I'm pretty sure someone along the line has said "If you can ruthlessly kill an animal without a second thought, then the same can be said of humans, thus showing your real character, which is not a pleasant one."

I mean I'm not whining about rats dying, because as a reptile owner I know a herps gotta eat. and I also have had to kill rodents, but even after doing it, I still don't agree, It's on the same lines of "it's ok that I killed and innocent guy, we are at war."
    www.myspace.com/christcody

1.0.0 Colombian Tegu (Thor)
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Montee)

Quote Originally Posted by meanah
    haha i have feed off anoles.. to my tegu.. hte liked it.. ive only done it once tho
    I would watch doing that. Most store bought anoles are carrying something nasty.

As for the topic, there are humane ways to kill mice. The freezer is your best friend in this case as it is humane to kill the mouse this way. You might also remind the person that is complaining that the mice are specifically being bred for the purpose that you are using them for. E.g. there would be no mouse to let go(which is a bad idea anyway) if there was no tegu to feed.

Quote Originally Posted by teguman1
    some times i just smake there head with a hammer i dont feed mice anymore i feed rats and there harder to kill sometimesso smash um or cash um
    Yes but one day you'll get bored of watching your animal kill things, and finally realize that you could have saved yourself a lot of time in the first place. There is no good reason to feed a tegu of any species live feeders. They will all eat, and readily accept thawed rodents.

Quote Originally Posted by pokeystotle
    Quote Originally Posted by teguman1
    some times i just smake there head with a hammer i dont feed mice anymore i feed rats and there harder to kill sometimesso smash um or cash um
    Yes but one day you'll get bored of watching your animal kill things, and finally realize that you could have saved yourself a lot of time in the first place. There is no good reason to feed a tegu of any species live feeders. They will all eat, and readily accept thawed rodents.

well put ^-^
    www.myspace.com/christcody

1.0.0 Colombian Tegu (Thor)
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Montee)

Hmm...putting mammals in the freezer is less humane than feeding live. Freezing live mammals is a slow painful death.

Sorry if the following is graphic for some....
    The most humane way of euthanizing rodents for feeding (besides a CO2 chamber) is to quickly separate the spinal column from the brain by grasping the tail at the base and hitting the base of the skull against a counter or table. You can also take a 2x2 of wood and place it over the head, then pull back on the tail, breaking the neck. Just grasp the tail at the base so you don't pull off the tail or the skin.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I use a screwdriver to brace behind the head and either pull the base of the tail or sometimes also the rear legs so as not to pull the skin off the tail which is not hard to do.

Another way to euthanize is to use dry ice in a deep bin or empty garbage can. Drop the ice in warm water bowl and put in your rodents. It's the same result as a CO2 chamber but more economical. I would only advise this if you had a large number to kill off and freeze though. Also use extreme caution if you try this yourself as the gas can knock you out too.
    Tree hugging is the truest form of self preservation!
    http://facebook.com/gisartbiz

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl
    Hmm...putting mammals in the freezer is less humane than feeding live. Freezing live mammals is a slow painful death.

Sorry if the following is graphic for some....
    The most humane way of euthanizing rodents for feeding (besides a CO2 chamber) is to quickly separate the spinal column from the brain by grasping the tail at the base and hitting the base of the skull against a counter or table. You can also take a 2x2 of wood and place it over the head, then pull back on the tail, breaking the neck. Just grasp the tail at the base so you don't pull off the tail or the skin.
    Yes. Putting animals in a freezer where they go to sleep is in fact more humane than pitting them for their lives against a large predator. To wit, my hawk caught a rabbit, and began eating it alive. Or being suffocated by a large constrictor, not to mention the pain involved.

Of course killing rodents shouldn't be a problem if you are buying them frozen already.

jesus people just swing them by the tail and whack their head against something hard!! the freezer idea.. is just plain stupid!! we are not into torture we are into feeding our animals with the least danger for them. THATS HOW I SEE IT!!

Agreed.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Wow!Interesting thread here.I feed my ball pythons all live mice.I always watch to see if they are getting bit by the mouse and I stop it.But lately with all the people saying how bad the snake can get hurt I use the grab the tail and wip it against something to knock them out routine.I also feed my tegus live mice and they pretty much grab the head and clamp down.The fuzzy rat pups work well but boy do they skweeeeel! like little pigs... Mice don't bother me but I have a different feeling with the rats.I have them as pets but when the animals get big I'll go to frozen rats...Axe:|
    0.1 Black & White Argentine Tegus
    0.1 Kahl Super Sunglow Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Het for Snow Red Tail Boa
    1.1 Pastel Ball Python,
    1.0 Butter Albino Corn Snake
    0.1 Russian Tortoise (RIP Terdis)
    1 Sulcata tortoise (RIP Jr.)
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 cats
    rat's