Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: god i hate people some times

i know how that is.. My B&W Liz wont eat them unless they move (so i smack them against the tank)
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

rodents are bred for reptile food. just like people who look down feeding rats well stuffing their mouth with cow [beef] no difference except im not eating rat maybe if i lived in Africa.
    too many tegus But can never say no to the GU

This was a hot thread, and its pretty much over. But I thought i'd give my opinion on it.

Me persoanally, I buy them live and feed my Boa live mice. Why? Because im not about to waste my time trying to do something my snake was created to do. It may be "safer" for you and the snake, but as far as I am concerned you shouldn't have a problem. You don't feed snakes in their cage if you do it with live mice. Not just snakes either. My tegu gets a live one every once in a while. They are natural born predators, and its their instincts that triggers the need to hunt. The reason why i love reptiles is because of their natural abilities. Watching them hunt down their prey excites me. Anybody who has ever been hunting will know what i am talking about. It's not that we are killers, or we are "inhumane", its just exciting to us. Which in return brings back humanity's Pedator senses. Yes, long time ago we used to have to kill for our own food, whether it was humane, or inhumane. But being humans we tend to adapt. We are a smarter species, therfore, we have learned to grow crops and harvest foods.

Either way you look at it, the darn thing has to eat. Whether somebody else kills it, you kill it, or the hungry reptile kills it. And if you want to talk about killing something inhumane.......Cats kill inhumanely. But then again. That's just how they do it. So......What exactly is "inhumanely"? Does it really matter just as long as it gets done? The point is to kill it anyways.

I used to keep rats as pets when I was a teenager and they can be cute and cuddly, but they are also pests. My parents have a free flight aviary in their yard and their neighbor brought roof rats in with the hay for their horse and they came into my parents yard to feed off the bird seed. The rats were killing and eating my parent's birds while they slept at night. It was truly gruesome. It got so bad that my dad set up a motion detector and would go out and shoot them at night. I think he ended up killing something like 80 rats and thinned them out pretty good but could never get rid of them because they were breeding in the huge burrow that the rabbits and turtles had dug over the last 20 years. Finally it rained really bad and flooded them out. So anyone who says that rats or mice aren't pests has never been infested by the little sh**s. Personally I feed frozen, but only because I think it is safer for my animal and I am too much of a puss to whack the poor things myself. LOL

i can't do it... they are cute...so i am taking my rats that i breed to the reptile store and trading live for dead... seems fair i don't have to kill them and i still get tegu/snake food... i like my ratties though... i guess i am weird... and i don't like killing things and i feed dead cause its easier to keep them in a freezer than keeping them alive...
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins

While there's some things I want to say here, I think I'll just keep it to the most salient points. Some people seriously need to check your local laws. It has nothing to do with "bottom of the food chain" or "treehuggers", in most of North America, it is simply ILLEGAL to kill a terrestrial vertebrate by means of suffocation or freezing. Gassing with CO2 isn't considered suffocation, and while low concentrations of it are indeed prolonged and painful, high CO2 concentrations are relatively quick. Cervical dislocation, decapitation, and smashing the skull are acceptable methods as long as the death is sudden. While some may make an argument of how the animal would kill prey in the wild (and currently it isn't illegal to feed live prey), the fact of the matter is the law may not care how your pet kills its prey, but it does care how YOU would.

Very good points tupinambis. Animals do have some rights, even if they are meant to be food.

i usually use needle nose plyers and squeeze there neck till i here the cracking or till they stop moving