Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help breeding rats

Default need help breeding rats

so i went and bought 3 breeder rats (the pet store lady said that she thinks one is pregnent but i dont know how to tell!!!) and i put 2 of them in a 10 gal (1 male to one female) i have one female in its own tank and a male and female in another both tanks have pine shaveing in them (is that good because i know reptiles (sence there babies are going to be food) cant have pine but anyway and one water supply bottle one food boal with gerbal and hamster food in it and a paper hide so what i want to know is if im doing anything wrong or need something more thanks
    one arg b&w tegu oreo
    4 dogs ruby, jake, and of corse my rolie
    3 rabbits
    7 chickens
    2 ducks
    and 4 breeder rats

I breed both mice and rats. I use carefresh for bedding to help absorb the pee and odor (it's horrible) even though you have to clean them out all the time. I do it every two days. just make sure they have food and water. did you try chicken feed (very inexpensive) or even some dried protein dog food.

I always have one male with about 3 or 4 females. it's easy to tell when they are pregnant the girls belly will be ......fat. turn them upside down or feel them if you can. then separate the pregnant female. again, make sure she has food (protein) and water or she will eat the babies.

I wish everything was as easy as rodents breeding ....lol
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

i have mice/rat nuggets, its like 17% protine and i mix that in with some gerbal/hamster feed its kind of like bird feed and i always have water and u use aspen. i got another rat today so know theres 2 females and one male and a pregnent female in another bin so hopfuly i will have babys. i had pine bedding in there before in the rat cage is that ok to use or not?
    one arg b&w tegu oreo
    3 rabbits
    7 chickens
    2 ducks
    and 4 breeder rats

rodents, that's good to use.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

alright thanks
    one arg b&w tegu oreo
    3 rabbits
    7 chickens
    2 ducks
    and 4 breeder rats

Pine shavings are BAD for rats (mice as well...) There are aromatic oils in pine that can cause severe URI's, which can cause lost litters, unhealthy feeders, and in my opinion the worst, a very unhealthy, very much in pain rat. Use Aspen or carefresh. We use Fleece for our pet rats here, as it absorbs the urine very well. If you are using tanks, you are already at risk for URI's, which is bad. We use a bigger cage for any pregnant females we get in.

No, we don't breed feeders, but we do have many pet rats and run a rat and mouse rescue!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodraven View Post
    Pine shavings are BAD for rats (mice as well...) There are aromatic oils in pine that can cause severe URI's, which can cause lost litters, unhealthy feeders, and in my opinion the worst, a very unhealthy, very much in pain rat. Use Aspen or carefresh. We use Fleece for our pet rats here, as it absorbs the urine very well. If you are using tanks, you are already at risk for URI's, which is bad. We use a bigger cage for any pregnant females we get in.

No, we don't breed feeders, but we do have many pet rats and run a rat and mouse rescue!

Hey bloodraven, Welcome Aboard and Enjoy ...

i've been breeding mice & asf rats for a long time always use Pine bedding NEVER had a problem, but i change their food once and with in a week they ate all the babies... i was using fortidiet (when the ate them) now i've been using home mixed mouse food from a li'l pet shop the next town over (great guy but wont sell me his Sav monitor, he keeps coming up with diff reasons i just think he likes the li'l guy to much)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    i've been breeding mice & asf rats for a long time always use Pine bedding NEVER had a problem, but i change their food once and with in a week they ate all the babies... i was using fortidiet (when the ate them) now i've been using home mixed mouse food from a li'l pet shop the next town over (great guy but wont sell me his Sav monitor, he keeps coming up with diff reasons i just think he likes the li'l guy to much)

i also use pine and the only rats i have with URI"s are my rescues. none of my personal rats have had a URI. i also make my own food. everytime i buy a certain food from her or there or something that someone recommends all my rats eat thier babies. done with that lol
    mommy to:
    0.1 tegu (Elmo) <3
    1.0 dog (Dallas)
    0.1 cat (Zelda)
    6.9 ball python
    1.0 chrome head blk blood (Lucas)
    0.1 albino red tail boa (Blossom)
    1.0 hog nose (Toffee)
    1.0 common snapper (Rosco)
    ?.? red foot (Jelly)

The issue with pine and cedar shavings is highly overstated. Yes, there are volatiles in pine and cedar that can affect animals, but it isn't a situation of toxicity, it's a situation where the animals are sensitive to it - in other words, they have an allergy to pine and/or cedar. To most animals, pine and cedar are fine and safe, but to a few it causes an allergic reaction. Just always pay attention to your charges and whether they react to ANYTHING, and you should be fine.