Thread: Help with research?

Default Help with research?

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading for some time, going a little bleery eyed soaking up information from this great community - a big thank you!! I live in Northern California and have been raising a healthy Bearded Dragon for some time. He's the best and we love him a lot.

Recently, I met a young black and white Argentinean Tegu in our local fish and reptile store (Seascape in Mountain View) and really enjoyed his/her curious demeanor and voracious appetite.

However, I'm not one to rush into things and have a bunch of questions.

Does anyone know of a reputable breeder in Northern California (or Southern for that matter)? I'd prefer to work with a breeder and do the best job of sexing and getting the right size and demeanor for my household. I really have no idea how large or what sex the small (8 inch) black and white is at the store.

Is there some way I can be more sure of receiving a smaller adult animal? I know females can be smaller when grown - but I'm hoping for more in the 3 foot range. Perhaps a breeder could deliver this? I know we don't want a runt, just a smaller bred animal (male or female).

I live in a 1200 square foot apartment with two floors. We intend to keep our animal in his/her 5-6 foot viv in the kitchen until we move. Any issues here? We're super clean and practice very good husbandy.

Thanks so much for any assistance, and for the great forum.

Best,
    -Dan (Aero)[/i]

Hi Aero, what a pleasure to have you join us. Welcome to theTegu !

that's good news about you doing all your homework first to insure you can provide a home with a healthy tegu. the argentine tegus are sweet and so lovable. that is absolutely correct they do have voracious appetites. but, you do get a break when and if they hibernate. they can also grow to be about 4ft. needing an 8x4x4 enclosure. they have the potential of becoming great lizards.

I do not know of any breeders in the california area. we have many knowledgable, experienced and friendly members here also from california so perhaps they can be of assistance. in the meantime I will give you two reputable breeders:
    http://www.siscoreptiles.com/
    he/Rick is the admin of this forum. a reputable breeder in Maine
    and
    http://www.varnyard-herps-inc.com/
    Bobby Hill a reputable breeder in Florida

now, if your looking in the area of a 3ft tegu. that would be a colombian tegu and I probably would not recommend the colombian tegu for you. a blue tegu. you say you fell in love with an argentine you were looking at so I would suggest the blue argentine tegu for it's size and first time tegu owner. in which Rick, the admin here breeds.

I hope this has shed some light for you.

Welcome Aboard, Dan ! come and join right in. ask anything. check out the photo gallery also.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

go through bobby hill, in florida.

hi, aero! i'm in santa rosa not too far from you. i got my hatchling from bobby, he's an amazing breeder. as far as i know their are no breeders in our area.

columbians stay smaller like your talking about.
    1.1.0 Arg B/W Tegu Joker n Groxy
    1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon "Spyro"
    1.0.0 Red Eared Slider "Turdy"
    0.0.0 White Dwarf Hamster "MiMi" R.I.P.
    1.1.0 Black&Albino Kingsnakes "Pearl & Hannibal"

Default Argentine and Colombian (and thanks)

Thanks guys! Great info, and I'll give Bobby a call for sure. So Colombians seem to have a rather aggressive and skittish temperament from what I've witnessed at the two local shops... Is that why they aren't sufficient for a beginner? I'll ask Bobby about the Argentine Blues as well.

We're in the process of spec'ing enclosures now - a place called "Animal Plastics' looks pretty good and may be what we go for.

I really appreciate the time and effort - good to meet you all,
    -D

I've got two tegus from Bobby, a B/w and a red. I like his lizards a lot and he's a nice guy. I will say that he breeds for larger size. He likes the lines of larger animals. Another great breeder (RIP), was Bert L, who just passed away recently. He may have had animals that were a bit smaller and darker than Bobby's. If you find the Agama International website, I'm sure they are still selling animals. The Blues are amazing, but you'll be waiting until next year to find a hatchling, I bet!

I don't think it's that Colombians aren't sufficient for beginners, but they have a temperament all their own. If you fell in love with an Argentine, you won't be happy with a Colombian as a substitute. Colombians have to be appreciated for what they are. I had a Colombian first, so it wasn't an issue for me in that way.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets