0.0.1 B&W

-SAM

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy756
    HOW DO YOU HOLD TARANTULAS??

WAT HAPPENS IF U GET BIT
    Hey Sammy
    It's good to have you here!
    'How do you hold Tarantulas' depends a lot on what kind of
    tarantulas you have. Most of the 'pet rock' genera ( Brachypelma, Grammostola, etc) are very docile and can either be coaxed up onto your flattened hand, or simply carefully, scooped up between thumb and fingers. This latter method is useful for a 'ventral view'.
    'What happens if you get bit' also depends on the kind of tarantula you have. Most of the 'pet rock' genera have a fairly mild venom that will result in very minor pain and short-lived localized (if any ) swelling.
    It's very important to mention that if you happen to be allergic to tarantula venom, the results of a bite could be much more involved,
    allergic reactions could involve something called 'anaphylactic shock' which might involve difficulty in breathing, among other things.
    But....that's only if you have an allergic reaction to tarantula venom.
    Most of the commonly kept 'pet rock' genera that are suitable for beginners aren't really likely to bite at all in the first place if they are carefully handled and not frightened.
    There are a number of tarantulas that are quite popular and quite commonly kept that are not really so much suited for a beginner because they are not only capable of a bite with a more serious affect, they also are more high-strung and more likely to become defensive at being handled and therefore more likely to bite. The various 'Baboon' spiders
    are for example usually kept as 'display' spiders, and not usually
    handled at all unless necessary. The genera Pterinochilus which includes the very pretty and very popular 'OBT' ( Orange Bitey Thing)
    is a good example as are all of the genera Poecilotheria, which are very pretty and fairly high-strung and defensive and therefore more or less quick to bite..their fans call them simply 'Pokies' and they are definitely a 'look but don't handle' genus...their venom is fairly potent and being bitten by an OBT or a Pokie is an experience that you'd really rather avoid. Mexican Redkneed Tarantulas (Brachypelma) Chaco Golden Stripe Tarantulas( Grammostola) are good choices for a beginner.
    The really big genera of tarantulas, such as Theraphosa and Lasiodora will get bigger than your hand, and on top of that are usually not of a good disposition to be easily, safely handled. These spiders are so big that even if they didn't have venom, they're still capable of putting some pretty big holes in you if they bite. It's worth mentioning also, that a number of Tarantulas, esp the really big ones,
    are covered in specialized 'hair' ( setae) that is very itchy. Even if it
    it's tame and won't bite,if you handle it, you may find that your hands itch
    REALLY badly afterward.
    Having said all o'that...Tarantulas are a lot of fun...it's just a good idea to know what you're getting into before you start

GMB
    "Be mindful of your thoughts.
    Thoughts crystallize into habit and
    habit solidifies into circumstance."

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy756
    HOW DO YOU HOLD TARANTULAS??

WAT HAPPENS IF U GET BIT
    Oh, yes...I should mention also that contrary to what a lot of people may think, there is no record of anyone ever dying from any tarantula's bite. There is no doubt that some tarantula species are toxic enough that they'll really put a hurting on ya.
    But, no one's ever actually died from the toxicity of a tarantula bite...none of 'em are venomous enough to kill anyone.
    There's plenty of low toxicity(and mild-mannered) tarantulas to choose from....and plenty of fun to be had

GMB

GMB is right.

The tarantula bites is almost painless. You can compare his bite to a bee sting. :!:

As for handling, I read that handling a tarantula isn't very hard. You have to take your hand and push it under the back leg of the spider. He/she will back up on your hand. Of course, people who has a good bond and trust with their tarantula will take him/her by the front. :wink:

The tarantula bite wouldn't be the main danger to look for. His urticate is much worse. :lol:
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Hey Greenmanbacchus, can you list what arachnids you have. I've got a few, here's my list.

0.0.1 Citharischius crawshayi
    0.0.1 Lasiodora parahybana
    0.1.0 Pterinochilus murinus
    0.1.0 Haplopelma lividum
    0.1.0 Avicularia metallica
    0.10.0 Hottentotta hottentotta
    1.0.0 Pandinus imperator

[quote="dpjm"]Hey Greenmanbacchus, can you list what arachnids you have. Hey, dpjm Here's what I've got:
    1.1.0 Grammostola aureostriata
    0.1.0 Grammostola pulchra
    0.1.0 Grammostola rosea RCF
    1.1.0 Avicularia avicularia
    0.1.0 Aphonopelma hentzi
    0.1.0 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1.30+ Pandinus imperator
    0.0.lots Lasiodora difficilis
    1.5.lots Latrodectus hesperus
    0.1.0 Lycosa spp

GMB

Nice. Ive always wanted a G. pulchra. Hard to come by though.

Quote Originally Posted by dpjm
    Nice. Ive always wanted a G. pulchra. Hard to come by though.
    Not really...slings are hard to come by, since G. pulchra is moderately difficult to breed...cooling periods, etc, etc. Adults pop up here and there...y'just gotta be willing to pay
    There's a SAF 4" on the boards right now...for $200.00 8O Shame it's not a male...I've got a female

I've got a female G. rosea who is upside down, molting, and a female P. imperator. they are a lot of fun and both of mine are handleable, although my scorp can be a bit pinchy.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets