Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tarantulas and scorpions

Loudog760 Guest

Well it seems I end up not waiting that long. After reading around for a while. I got a B smithi sling on its way. I thought I would let you know, also I plan on getting the TKG when it comes out.

That's a good choice for a first tarantula, LouDog How big is it? Is it sexed or unsexed? Keep us posted!
    "Be mindful of your thoughts.
    Thoughts crystallize into habit and
    habit solidifies into circumstance."

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmanbacchus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy756
    HOW DO YOU HOLD TARANTULAS??

WAT HAPPENS IF U GET BIT
    Hey Sammy
    It's good to have you here!
    'How do you hold Tarantulas' depends a lot on what kind of
    tarantulas you have. Most of the 'pet rock' genera ( Brachypelma, Grammostola, etc) are very docile and can either be coaxed up onto your flattened hand, or simply carefully, scooped up between thumb and fingers. This latter method is useful for a 'ventral view'.
    'What happens if you get bit' also depends on the kind of tarantula you have. Most of the 'pet rock' genera have a fairly mild venom that will result in very minor pain and short-lived localized (if any ) swelling.
    It's very important to mention that if you happen to be allergic to tarantula venom, the results of a bite could be much more involved,
    allergic reactions could involve something called 'anaphylactic shock' which might involve difficulty in breathing, among other things.
    But....that's only if you have an allergic reaction to tarantula venom.
    Most of the commonly kept 'pet rock' genera that are suitable for beginners aren't really likely to bite at all in the first place if they are carefully handled and not frightened.
    There are a number of tarantulas that are quite popular and quite commonly kept that are not really so much suited for a beginner because they are not only capable of a bite with a more serious affect, they also are more high-strung and more likely to become defensive at being handled and therefore more likely to bite. The various 'Baboon' spiders
    are for example usually kept as 'display' spiders, and not usually
    handled at all unless necessary. The genera Pterinochilus which includes the very pretty and very popular 'OBT' ( Orange Bitey Thing)
    is a good example as are all of the genera Poecilotheria, which are very pretty and fairly high-strung and defensive and therefore more or less quick to bite..their fans call them simply 'Pokies' and they are definitely a 'look but don't handle' genus...their venom is fairly potent and being bitten by an OBT or a Pokie is an experience that you'd really rather avoid. Mexican Redkneed Tarantulas (Brachypelma) Chilean Rose Tarantulas( Grammostola) are good choices for a beginner.
    The really big genera of tarantulas, such as Theraphosa and Lasiodora will get bigger than your hand, and on top of that are usually not of a good disposition to be easily, safely handled. These spiders are so big that even if they didn't have venom, they're still capable of putting some pretty big holes in you if they bite. It's worth mentioning also, that a number of Tarantulas, esp the really big ones,
    are covered in specialized 'hair' ( setae) that is very itchy. Even if it
    it's tame and won't bite,if you handle it, you may find that your hands itch
    REALLY badly afterward.
    Having said all o'that...Tarantulas are a lot of fun...it's just a good idea to know what you're getting into before you start

GMB
    This might be a little late, but you did forget one important fact, regarding the venom issue, you could be bit several times, and nothing had happened, though the next time, you could very well have an allergic reaction.

on a side note, certain venom can have many positive effects as well, as a medicine, although it's probably more then just the venom, so don't go getting yourself bit!

3:04AM so I hope this makes as much sense to you, as it does to me right now, night people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy756
    HOW DO YOU HOLD TARANTULAS??

WAT HAPPENS IF U GET BIT
    You shouldn't hold tarantulas. There are some species that seem docile, but it isn't a good practice. I have a large collections of tarantulas, and scorps, and have had for nearly 12 years. I make a practice of not handling them.

[/img]

One of my big Poecilotheria regalis. I have a special penchant for "pokies", as in my nickname, "Pokeystotle".