Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarantulas and scorpions

Loudog760 Guest

What are some good beginner tarantulas? I remember I found a desert tarantula I think that's what its called a long time ago were I live. I live in SoCal in the lower desert. My friend kept them, he said they were good pets. And I heard of the Rosy Haired tarantula was a good one?

Quote Originally Posted by Loudog760
    What are some good beginner tarantulas? I remember I found a desert tarantula I think that's what its called a long time ago were I live. I live in SoCal in the lower desert. My friend kept them, he said they were good pets. And I heard of the Rosy Haired tarantula was a good one?
    Hey LouDog Firstly, if you are seriously thinking about having a tarantula for a pet, it's a really good idea to go out first and get and read Stanley and Marguerite Shultz'
    book "The Tarantula Keepers Guide" ( TKG). Tarantulas are not hard or expensive to keep. As with any pet, you're much better off knowing what you're getting into before you get into it.
    What's a good beginner Tarantula?
    (Not in any particular order)
    1. Aphonopelma chalcodes This is probably the "Desert tarantula' that you mentioned. Common names can be misleading, so it is standard practice to refer to all tarantulas by their scientific names to avoid confusion. Whith the possible exception of the somewhat ill-tempered A. moderatum, all the Aphonopelma species are good choices for a beginner. They are fairly small (4-5") usually not too colorful and very docile. More often than not, the Aphonopelma species that you'll find available are Wild Caught ( WC ) rather than Captive Bred (CB) Read the TGK.
    2. Grammostola rosea The Chilean Rose tarantula. You'll see them called 'Rosehair', but Stan Shultz will tell you that the correct common name is Chilean Rose. Fairly small ( 4--5+") they are reddish brown and like most Grammostolas, very hardy and easily kept. Most of what you'll find available is WC adults and subadults.
    3.Brachypelma smithi The Mexican Red Knee tarantula. Midsized at an adult female length of up to 6+", the B. smithi is the icon of the hobby. Brightly colored in black and orange, these heavy-bodied burrowing tarantulas are known for being rather quick to kick urticating hair when startled. We like 'em anyway. Available in CB only. Most Brachypelmas are suitable for the beginner. Read TKG

That should keep you busy for a while LouDog

GMB
    "Be mindful of your thoughts.
    Thoughts crystallize into habit and
    habit solidifies into circumstance."

Interesting stuff, GMB....thanks for sharing!

Warner

Quote Originally Posted by Warner
    Interesting stuff, GMB....thanks for sharing!

Warner
    My pleasure, I'm sure. That (among other things) is what these forums are here for.
    I should perhaps add that while G. rosea is widely kept, the Grammostola spp cover a wide range of size, color and price.
    Nearly all Grammostolas are suitable for the beginner
    Unlike the G.rosea, most other Grammostolas are available in 'CB only' due to laws passed to protect the wild populations from over-harvesting. G. rosea will no doubt follow at some point. Happily, the Chilean Rose appears to breed well in captivity and it is possible to find spiderlings ( slings ) of G. rosea that are CB. Typically, the larger specimens available are WC. We like our G. roseas...I've got three myself, all WC) but I should probably point out that they are known to be a bit quirky in temperament, not with biting so much, but in terms of docility, handleability etc. Any spider that managed to survive in the wild until adulthood has what it takes to survive...but not necessarily the attributes that we'd like to find in a good pet. Remember, any WC adult is of necessity of unknown age.....you might be getting a spider that's elderly (20+years) that despite the best of care, might die on you after a short time simply from old age. With an adult size of 4-5.5", if you choose one that is say, 3.5" you're likely to have a 'teenager'.
    Better still, with G. rosea is to get a CB sling. That way you know where it's been and you know how old it is. The downside of that is that typically CB slings are sold as 'unsexed'....you might wind up with a male.
    Tarantulas can be sexed at a fairly small size, and usually you'll pay a bit more for a 'guaranteed female'
    With all tarantulas generally....you want a female...they live much longer. A B. smithi female for example will live to be perhaps 30 years old! A male B. smithi will be dead of old age at 5 years old or so. Read TKG.
    Check's in the mail, right Stan? LOL
    Actually I'm pushing TKG only because it's pretty much the tarantula enthusiast's Bible. Most of your questions are addressed there.

GMB

I wish I could have an Emperor Scorpion!

These little guys seems so calm and adorable! (ok, maybe not cuddly lol) :lol:
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Loudog760 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmanbacchus
    Hey LouDog Firstly, if you are seriously thinking about having a tarantula for a pet, it's a really good idea to go out first and get and read Stanley and Marguerite Shultz'
    book "The Tarantula Keepers Guide" ( TKG). Tarantulas are not hard or expensive to keep. As with any pet, you're much better off knowing what you're getting into before you get into it.
    1. Aphonopelma chalcodes This is probably the "Desert tarantula' that you mentioned. Common names can be misleading, so it is standard practice to refer to all tarantulas by their scientific names to avoid confusion. Whith the possible exception of the somewhat ill-tempered A. moderatum, all the Aphonopelma species are good choices for a beginner. They are fairly small (4-5") usually not too colorful and very docile. More often than not, the Aphonopelma species that you'll find available are Wild Caught ( WC ) rather than Captive Bred (CB) Read the TGK.
    2. Grammostola rosea The Chilean Rose tarantula. You'll see them called 'Rosehair', but Stan Shultz will tell you that the correct common name is Chilean Rose. Fairly small ( 4--5+") they are reddish brown and like most Grammostolas, very hardy and easily kept. Most of what you'll find available is WC adults and subadults.
    3.Brachypelma smithi The Mexican Red Knee tarantula. Midsized at an adult female length of up to 6+", the B. smithi is the icon of the hobby. Brightly colored in black and orange, these heavy-bodied burrowing tarantulas are known for being rather quick to kick urticating hair when startled. We like 'em anyway. Available in CB only. Most Brachypelmas are suitable for the beginner. Read TKG

GMB
    Thanks for the info. I think I might look into the Chilean Rose tarantula. But I have to do a bit more research first. I was watching this show today called,"Spider mania" And the guy on there was show and talking about about the Greenbottle blue. I think this species looks amazing, my question is, are they costly?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmanbacchus

GMB
    Thanks for the info. I think I might look into the Chilean Rose tarantula. But I have to do a bit more research first. I was watching this show today called,"Spider mania" And the guy on there was show and talking about about the Greenbottle blue. I think this species looks amazing, my question is, are they costly?
    They are indeed costly...a 'guaranteed female' of 4-5" will likely set you back a couple of hundred dollars. Available only in CB as I recall, their natural habitat is a very narrow desert region in Venezuela. I would not particularly recommend them as a beginner tarantula...anything that would not be ideal for a educational demo IMO is not a good first tarantula. Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens main claim to fame is their attractive coloration. Temperamentally, they are skittish and quick to kick urticating setae. They might be likened to Aphonopelma hentzi with color and attitude. A. hentzi, while more modestly colored in chocolate browns and dark irridescent carapaces in mature adults matures to about the same size as C. cyaneopubescens (5") and are much calmer and can be purchased at a fraction of the price.
    Of course, if you have no intention of handling your tarantula, and are not put off by the high price tag, go for it.
    B. smithi is much larger, very colorful and much more easily handled. A subadult 'guaranteed female' at 3" or so can easily be found
    for $50.00 or so. Grammostola aureostriata ( Chaco Golden Stripe)can be found at more or less the same price. Chacos are even more docile than B. smithi ( if not quite so colorful,even larger, topping out at nearly 8" and are readily available. It's good that you are doing research...let me suggest that you take your time and not rush into anything. Bear in mind that the tarantula that you purchase may easily take up the next 25 years of your life...or more. You might as well be as well-informed as you can be, make an informed choice, and know what you're getting before you get it.
    As to G. rosea, their biggest attraction is that they're dirt cheap.
    That's why so many people buy them...I do not particularly recommend them as a first tarantula. IMO, you'll do far better to get your feet wet with a B. smithi or a G. aureostriata. Check out www.atshq.org
    Read TKG
    GMB

Loudog760 Guest

Thanks a lot for the helpful information. And I won't be getting one anytime soon lol.

I had a very large, very pretty, and extremely docile Grammostola rosea who I actually brought to my son's pre-school class and let the chidren "pet" the spider (by very carefully touching her abdomen with one finger while she stood on me so if anyone got bit it'd be me and I could watch for the first sign of her wanting to get away). I talked to the kids about the place of spiders in the ecosystem and sang "The Big Humongous Spider" with them. I think I was universally voted the coolest mom that year because I was able to hold a big spider and not freak out!
    I enjoy the company of large and dangerous creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaimsMom
    I had a very large, very pretty, and extremely docile Grammostola rosea who I actually brought to my son's pre-school class and let the chidren "pet" the spider (by very carefully touching her abdomen with one finger while she stood on me so if anyone got bit it'd be me and I could watch for the first sign of her wanting to get away). I talked to the kids about the place of spiders in the ecosystem and sang "The Big Humongous Spider" with them. I think I was universally voted the coolest mom that year because I was able to hold a big spider and not freak out!
    There are indeed docile examples of G. rosea to be found...I've got three (WC)Red Color Form (RCF) G. roseas and two out of those three (at least) are suitable for educational demos. It might be worth mentioning that there is some small argument in the hobby that the RCF is the 'true' G. rosea and that the common lot of 'regular' form (brown) Chilean Rose is more properly described as G. porteri. In any case, as with any predominantly wild-caught (WC) offering, one may easily reasonably expect to be presented with a wide variety as to docility and handleability.
    'You pays your money and you takes your chances'.
    When dealing with multi-generational captive-bred (CB) stock, such as the afore-mentioned B. smithi and G. aureostriata, one is much more likely to receive a tarantula that is free from the stresses concomitant with a WC subject and as such, a much more biddable pet as well as a more likely and dependable brood stock.
    GMB
    amergin@comcast.net