Thread: Is this normal with Baby/Young Tegu's?

Default Is this normal with Baby/Young Tegu's?

I have owned my tegu for about 3 weeks now its aprox. 2-4 months old and I have been keeping it in a 100 gallon fish tank with like a 3/4 foot deep of cypress has a basking spot and cave using the basking spot (3 rocks) and long peice of cork bark and some branches. Plan to build my own cage in October after few more paychecks.

Anyways when ever I spray it with water (maybe two cold?) or whenever I give it food that is a lil cold? (meatballs i made like 2 weeks ago that I unthaw that are tiny bit cold after letting them sit) it makes a puffing sound after eating them or after being sprayed with water...Is it sneezing or something because the food is to cold?

My other question was when my tegu eats super worms or those chicken grounded meat balls i made that have strawberrys,peaches, and carrots in them he rubs side of the mouth against the substrate and against basking spot for a sec. I am asuming thats just to get any food off the side of mouth but if anyone has a explanation on why it does that I would greatly appreciate it because I never see any food there when he does it. :

Thanks

hello 905-Rob-Canada, I like to Welcome you to theTegu.

I'm trying to picture this. I know when I feed my tegus some ground turkey sometimes they make a little sound like sneezing and I think that is because it must get up their nostrils because I see them stick their whole mouths in and take big bites. I would think the same with the misting.

as for wiping their nose/mouth after they eat this is normal and I don't see anything there either most of the time.

all sounds good and normal

do you have any pics that you would like to share ?
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

Yup, I believe angelrose is correct. Whenever I mist my tegu, he like sneezes. I always assumed its just him puffing the water out of his nostrils.

Hi 905-Rob-Canada.Welcome to the Tegu forum family and congrats on your new Tegu.It's nice to have you as a new addition here.I'm with angelrose.Both of my Tegus do the same thing.Sometimes they also make a strange noise when they swallow a small rat.Sometimes they put they're hole mouth ( closed ) into the ground turkey and move it side to side than take a big bite and sometimes they do it after they are done eating on the floor ( thank good we have tile and hard wood floors ).I recommend not to give him the food to cold and with the water to have it warm.What is his name ? it would be nice if we could see some pics .