Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black & White Tegu Has diarreah..What Can I Do For Him?

It only got my attention because I started introducing new foods to his diet as I explained in my first post..I just wanted to see if anyone else has came across this and maybe offer me advice on how I can help him..Of course, if it lasted longer he wouldve been taken to the vet.

ya, he had runny stool the other day, then he was fine.

Also, vets can be expensive. I rememberr the vet told me that he was hopeful that the medicine would work in 4-5 days. He said if not, there may be something else going on. Which meant iIwould have to come back for an x ray, which was $80. I was thinking, man, I hope the medicine works. That particular vet's office actually does surgery on Tegus. They did surgery on a very large red tegu for impaction. Who knows how much surgery on a tegu would have been.

Here is the big guy nearing 3 1/2 feet and being being nosey. Sorry, couldn't resist posting a pic

God I can only imagine! My brothers puppy was impacted with my nephews pacifer!! She ate the nipple right off the pacifer after the baby dropped it on the floor..After about 3 days she started vomiting and not eating or pooping..It was horrible..It costed him $4,500 big ones but, it saved her life..The puppy was 3 months old at the time and now she is 2 years old and doing great..Same vet did the surgery, So i trust him with all my animals..
    Your guy is about the same size as mine..Hes cute!!

Thanks.....he's a good boy.

WOW 4,500 bucks ........Thats a real lot of money. I'm glad everything turned out well for your dog.

I never asked them at the vet what the surgery costs for the tegu they operated on. However, I go to the pet store where the tegu is from. I suppose I could just ask the owner. However, maybe he wouldn't want to say.

That pet store has 2 of the biggest tegus I have ever seen, both reds. I wonder if it was one of them that are at the store now. The ones in the store are like 2 times the size of mine in width and longer too. The head on one of them in like the size of a cantelope.

Rob

October, I thought I as looking at a picture of my tegu, a fatter one but mine non-the less. Who was the breeder?
    1.0.0 B&W
    0.0.1 CA Horned Lizard
    0.0.1 Savannah Monitors
    2.0.0 Cats
    0.1.0 Wife
    1.0.0 Child

greentriple.I don't want to be rude but how did you find out what to feed your Tegu ? from a Scientists Bible ? I think that you got some tips on what to feed your Tegu from Rick's care sheet,too.I rather read as many informations that I can and pass it on ( when I know that the care sheet/food list works on my Tegus and it's not like I tell members to feed the Tegus pizza ) than thinking "well I better say nothing on this forum because I'm not a scientist or vet ".It's not like we are telling members here on the forum how to give surgery it's just some tips on what foods they can eat.I'm sorry if I was being harsh.
    I do think that the pet stores should give some advice.If they would care about the animals and customers and not just the money less people would get into a big mess by buying something they should of.It's both parties responsibility.

I too believe the pet store should educate the new owner a bit on at least what to feed these guys..Its not like we are buying a feeder rat, We are buying an exotic reptile..
    about 13 years ago I was one of those teenagers on the boardwalk winning an iguana at a game stand..I had no idea what I was in for! They told me the thing wouldnt grow bigger then the cage it was in and so on..Thank god, I learned how to properly care for her so she was able to live 11 years..She was healthy but, her kidneys failed on me in the end..
    I was in the pet store buying dog food a few months after she died and I saw the tegu and fell in love..I felt bad for him actually he wasnt a baby when I bought him..He was about 2 1/2 feet long and it looked like his last owner dropped him off there to be sold..Not only was he not a baby but, he was alot of money..When I picked him up and saw how tame he was I couldnt leave him there..When I bought him he was eating only mice and eggs..The pet store told me thats all he needed..They said nothing about a UVB light either..I knew from the iguana he needed one though..I think its animal abuse, For someone to sell an animal and not educate the new owner on how it needs to be housed and fed..Its just plain wrong in my eyes..Dont sell the animal if you know nothing about it!

October, I thought I as looking at a picture of my tegu, a fatter one but mine non-the less. Who was the breeder?
    Hello greentriple..I do not know the breeder. He came from Rumford pets in Rhode Island. A very good, reputable pet store who sells and has sold every exotic imaginable.

Rob

I thought for the last year that my tegu was a male and now after seeing a video on youtube I believe she is a female LOL Her name is King though, She does not have the big male jowls and I felt under her tail for the beads and there is none..Oh well, I got a female named King LOL

:lol: I know how that goes.We got a male Frilled Dragon with the name Venus :lol: .