Thread: Izzy's skiddish

Default Izzy's skiddish

Hi everyone,
    It's been a while since I've been on. How's all? Well, after about 4 or 5 months we found that the UV had been not working for who knows how long, so my little Izzy is still little. Thankfully I have his tank under a window I kept open all summer days so he got some UV. He was a totally different tegu after the new bulb, but now I think it's out again. How can that be? Two UV lights in a row stop working? At the price I can't afford to replace it every month. Could two be deffective? The guy at the shop has had the same bulb for almost 5 years and mine stop working after a month, maybe even a week.
    Plus, when I took him out yesterday he was super squirmy and at one point open his mouth wide a few times to intimidate me. I'm taking the bulb back to the shop tomorrow and insist on a new one I guess.
    I was told to keep a spoon or some kind of medal near me and to put it in his mouth when he opens it like that. Is that a good idea?
    Thanks,
    Wishing you a happy week,
    Jamie

The actual tube light is burning out? That's probably not good. It could be the bulbs or maybe your light fixture is overpowering them and frying them? I dunno...

The UV output from special UV bulbs decays significantly over the course of about 8-12 months, so that guy that's had one for 5 years probably hasn't had any UV exposure for his animals for about 4 years lol.

As for the metal spoon idea, probably not good either. The last thing you want to do is hurt your tegu's teeth if they chomp down on that!
    0.1 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dante)
    1.0 Paraguayan Red Tegu (Azshara)
    0.1 Ball Python [100% Het. Albino] (Persephone)

Florida Death Metal - SledgegrindeR
    www.myspace.com/sledgegrinder

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to figure out why the UV part of the bulb keeps burning out.
    Have a great week!
    Jamie

No problem! Good luck to you
    0.1 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dante)
    1.0 Paraguayan Red Tegu (Azshara)
    0.1 Ball Python [100% Het. Albino] (Persephone)

Florida Death Metal - SledgegrindeR
    www.myspace.com/sledgegrinder

Hi Jamie.It's nice to see you back.Did you check if the output of the light bulb is not more than the light fixture can take ? do you have a UVB light,too ?
    agallegos37 is right.They usually just last a few months.Does the light bulb turn off and than after a few minutes come back on or does it stay off.Some bulbs when they get to hot or when you move them around they turn off and than come back on.Read the back of the box that it came in and it should give you some info on the bulb.Did Izzy hibernate the last hibernation season ? if he did it is normal for him to grow slower than if he didn't.I wouldn't use a spoon either.If you don't want to get bit put on a long sleeve shirt and pull the sleeve over your hand.So when you get close to him and he wants to bite you all he will get in his mouth is your shirt :wink: .If you do that and he bites into your shirt don't pull on it.Let him have it in his mouth until he lets go.That way he will see that you are not fighting him and after a while he will stop doing it.Hope that helps.Good luck and please keep us posted.Thanks.