Thread: When To Worry?

Default When To Worry?

So hmmm still no sight of the red

It sucks I haven't seen her since like a day after I got her and I want to know for sure she's okay. Neither of them have been eating much.

After about how many days of not seeing her at all should I begin to worry?
    0.1 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dante)
    1.0 Paraguayan Red Tegu (Azshara)
    0.1 Ball Python [100% Het. Albino] (Persephone)

Florida Death Metal - SledgegrindeR
    www.myspace.com/sledgegrinder

Hello agallegos37...When did you get her???? I did not see mine for 2 days or so when I first got him. Maybe he she is starting to hibernate. how old would you say she is?

Actually, I don't think its a hibernation issue. I think its just her way of dealing with being in a new environment. Just make sure that the temps in the basking area are up near 100.

Some tegus take more time to acclimate to their surroundings. I try to think of it from their perspective. They do not know where they are, they do not know you and they don't know whats out there waiting for them.

Rob

I got her probably close to 2 weeks ago and she was like 12" STL

The gradient in my enclosure is from about 74*-112* or so...

I saw her like two days after I put her in the new cage but since then I haven't. I've been putting food in the cage every day too and neither tegus have really eaten much. Dante's okay though he's been out every day and looks pretty fat :P

I dunno I may be worrying too much but that tegu cost me like $250 and all I want is some confirmation to know she's okay lol.

I know exactly how you feel. I paid around $200 for mine. If they are eating at least a little and coming out everyday, that is a good sign.

Maybe as the days go on, they will come out a little more each day. Did you order these tegus thorugh the mail? If so, I would imagine that shipping a tegu would almost double the time it would need to acclimate to its new surroundings.

You are in a tough spot. You want to know what is going on, yet, it is not good to check on her. I mean, usually waking them up and/or uncovering them is a no no. Especially since you are trying to get her to trust you. If she sees that your the one uncovering her, it would cause more stress. In my opinion, I would give it a few more days. Then maybe try some different things.

One thing I especially like when purchasing a new animal is to see it eat at the store. This is one thing that cannot be done with shipped animals. However, just because an animal eats at the store, does not mean it will eat when it gets home. However, it is a good indication that it will.

One thing that concerns me about eating in the store is if the employee is knowledgeable though. I mean, I will always ask to see the animal eat. There was one time I asked to see a certain frog to eat and the employee, who sold me my tegu and was a knowledgeable person,said, I'd rather not , becasue he just ate and is already full. Another employee might have said yes, and feed the animal anyway.

Hi Agallegos;
    Well , join the club. I purchased my red on Sept 28. She ate 4 bites of food in the first 2 days , and thats it ! She spent 95% of her first three weeks under the bark.She now is starting to show up first thing in the am and bask.I have never seen her poop ! I check her for any hard lunps, and put her in the bathtub with lukewarn water.I worry also , however , I think it is due to a new home and bumation. She looks fine and not undernourished.So you are not alone with your concern , however all we can do is give our best effort , and try and stay on top of things.

Okay. Thanks a lot for the replies. I guess all I can really do is just wait it out and see when she finally pokes her head up out of the mulch :P

However, if I continue to not see her for a long time, about when is the point when I should worry and maybe go dig her up?

My worst fear is just like not seeing her for a month+ and then digging up a dead (expensive) tegu :(