Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a few questions... (free roaming and hibernation)

Default a few questions... (free roaming and hibernation)

For anybody who lets their tegu roam around the house: what sort of things should i keep off the floor? what are some things that could be really harmful or a risk in any way? (there was cat hair in my tegu's mouth)

and, during hibernation period... if i'm not hibernating my tegu, will she still act funny? refusing food and stuff?

Things to remove:

Everything that could fall/cut/hurt your Tegus.
    Small pieces of british color, your Tegu could eat it and die.
    Animal hair.

It's hard to "not hibernate" a Tegu. Some will do it even if you change the temperature, handle him daily etc. The better thing is to let him hibernate. (In my opinion).

Yes during hibernation period, your Tegu could be very slow, refuse food even if you try to not hibernate him.

Good luck!
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

yeah shes not making any effort to hibernate. shes up all night running around. thanks for the info.
    what exactly is british color?

ahh sorry my english is bad.

I think the right word is "bright" ???

What I mean is :color that "tap" the eyes. (blue,red,light yellow,pink etc)
    Those colors could look "delicious" for the animal, and can eat it by mistake.
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

As long as your Tegu wants to eat and and she doesn't slow down I would let her do what she wants.There are times that she might not be very hungry and on other days she might eat like a pig.That's normal and they do that all year long.Leonidas didn't hibernate last year and he was up every day.He was eating well and he was out basking and free roaming allot.Zeus on the other hand stoped eating.He also was hiding allot more and slowed down in activity.Than he finaly went into hibernation.Don't worry if she doesn't want to hibernate she will akt as always :wink: ( for except when she is shedding.I have noticed they get a little moody than :lol: ).Hope that helps.I forgot to mention not to leave anything on the floor that he can put in his mouth and eat it.I have three dog's and my Tegu's had hair in they're mouth and they seem to be fine.

Well, in my experience NO SMALL SHINY things :!: :!: :!: My little tegu Asami ate a screw a couple weeks ago. Freaked me out, so much 8O I'm so lucky she passed it herself
    J.Miles
    0.1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu(Asami)
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu(Drexel)
    1.0.0 Rottweiler(Diamo)
    1.0.0 Boston Terrier(Chester)

I'm happy to hear that she passed it and that she is doing well now.Thanks for letting us know.

I let mine free roam, but I'm right there with them. If I don't watch them, they end up under some book case and I can't find them. Of course, Kreacher just stays in one place and tries to eat my berber carpet...cheeky monkey. I provide them with things to do so I don't have to worry about what they will find on their own. I'll give them some towels to climb through, blankets to burrow in, cat toys/balls to chase, a dish rag to drag around, a piece of old denim to scratch at. Yeah, mine end up with cat hair, doh hair, and the occasional dust bunny stuck to their mouths, but I just wip it off and throw it away if I see it. I keep shiny things off the floor, and watch my red who seems to like to stick his tongue in the power plugs on the floor.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

anything that smells remotely like fish or an aquarium.

my tegu will sit for a half hour trying to find the head of my turtle tank siphon tube so she can kill it and eat it.

any submersable pumps she will drag around the room and scratch on.

once when one was disassembled on the floor i watched her pick the impeller out of it and eat it. thats a semi large magnet. i was scared. she passed it ok though, found it a few weeks later.

lol, i have a picture of it in my album.

other than that, other tanks. She's gotten in and trashed both my roach tank and my emporor scorpions tank (luckily she doesn't like bugs)

they are better climbers than you'd think. she's swiped everything off my desk before.

and yea, as soon as it started to cool off she started to brumate. maybe up every other day for like 4-5 hours. eating food only once every 3 days or so. but for some reason she changed her mind, and is now up at 8:30 am and goes to bed around 4-5pm full apitite full activity. i guess she tried it and doesn't like to hibrenate.
    1.1.0 Arg B/W Tegu Joker n Groxy
    1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon "Spyro"
    1.0.0 Red Eared Slider "Turdy"
    0.0.0 White Dwarf Hamster "MiMi" R.I.P.
    1.1.0 Black&Albino Kingsnakes "Pearl & Hannibal"

Default Re: a few questions... (free roaming and hibernation)

Quote Originally Posted by corn-ball
    For anybody who lets their tegu roam around the house: what sort of things should i keep off the floor? what are some things that could be really harmful or a risk in any way? (there was cat hair in my tegu's mouth)
    Did you find your cat????!!!! 8O 8O 8O 8O

Our's have tried to eat cat toys, actually any small stuffed toy. Bits of CareFresh bedding they find are eaten. Pulling thinks out of a 10 lb Tegu's mouth isn't easy!! Those teeth are sharp!
    1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas
    1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon
    0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Ball Python, 0.0.1 Corn