Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can anyone help id my new tegu

Well i think shes argentine because of the 2 scales plus her scales are beeded they dont feel smooth. What do u think tupinambis after looking at the pictures?

oh, didn't mean to cast doubt on that, yours is certainly Tupinambis merianae, just don't want people to get in the rut of 1:2 meaning T.teguixin:T.merianae because it simply doesn't hold to all occassions.

I'm missing a post about beaded vs smooth scales...

Is this in reference to the Colombian's smoothness? I never really thought of it in that way before. Is it used as a way to differentiate species?

Tupinambis, if loreal counts vary from the norm, what does academia use to differentiate T.teguixin from T.merianae?
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I look for the black & white stripes on the side of the Argentines. Columbians tend to have a salt & pepper look.
    1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas
    1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon
    0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Ball Python, 0.0.1 Corn

Academia currently uses a bunch of different criteria: loreal scales, femoral pores, scale counts, head scalation, etc. and weighs the criteria as deems fit. The standard is that Tupinambis merianae have 2 loreal scales, and that T. teguixin has 1, but these are not "iron-clad" rules, just because a tegu has one loreal doesn't automatically disqualify it from being T.merianae. Some of the traits show a fair degree of variation, and so this has to be taken into account. I've seen plenty of T.merianae now with a single loreal, and sometimes it's one loreal on one side, two loreals on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by tupinambis
    Academia currently uses a bunch of different criteria: loreal scales, femoral pores, scale counts, head scalation, etc. and weighs the criteria as deems fit. The standard is that Tupinambis merianae have 2 loreal scales, and that T. teguixin has 1, but these are not "iron-clad" rules, just because a tegu has one loreal doesn't automatically disqualify it from being T.merianae. Some of the traits show a fair degree of variation, and so this has to be taken into account. I've seen plenty of T.merianae now with a single loreal, and sometimes it's one loreal on one side, two loreals on the other.
    What about the stripes on the sides? I've never seen a merianae without them or a teguixin with them, but I haven't seen many teguixins.

The stripes on the side are fairly characteristic of the merianae clade, but not really restricted to Tupinambis merianae alone. Colour patterning is a fairly weak criteria beings as there's so much variation.

Have seen any teguixin with stripes?