Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New to Tegu's

Just an update. Ruby ate some liver two days in a row and loved the dubias. I gave her about 5 large dubias. Today she didn't eat thought even thought I tried to feed her. Is this normal? Or should they eat daily?

Also, she pooped today finally! And she peed on my carpet yesterday (liquid and some urate)...

Anyway, thanks for everything!

She'll be fine. Usually they'll probably eat everyday but missing a day or two is no big deal. And also, great pics! I really like them and Ruby looks pretty awesome

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl
    I want to welcome you back,too.How long have they been hibernating ?
    Thanks! I believe they've been hibernating since late October/November. It's been a long time. When do tegus usually come up from hibernation? February? I know they just kinda come out of hibernation when they feel like it, but hopefully it'll be sooner than later! I want them to be active and eat so they can get big lol
    0.1 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dante)
    1.0 Paraguayan Red Tegu (Azshara)
    0.1 Ball Python [100% Het. Albino] (Persephone)

Florida Death Metal - SledgegrindeR
    www.myspace.com/sledgegrinder

BMXICAN.It's ok if Ruby doesn't want to eat.She probably is going to eat again as soon as she poops it all out and you can see a fold ( of skin ) on the side of her stomach.See she turned out to be a great eater after all :wink: .

agallegos37.Rick told me before that they usually come out of hibernation at the end of March but since yours went into hibernation in October/November I think they should be comming us soon.My guess would be mid February but I could be wrong.Zeus hibernated last time from Dec 07 to the end of March 08.

BMXICAN.It's ok if Ruby doesn't want to eat.She probably is going to eat again as soon as she poops it all out and you can see a fold ( of skin ) on the side of her stomach.See she turned out to be a great eater after all :wink: .

agallegos37.Rick told me before that they usually come out of hibernation at the end of March but since yours went into hibernation in October/November I think they should be comming us soon.My guess would be mid February but I could be wrong.Zeus hibernated last time from Dec 07 to the end of March 08.
    Thanks, yeah she has been eating again. She seems to not want liver anymore. I tried some collard greens. No success. She loves moving prey. Dubia roaches and superworms. She eats about 5 roaches a session and 20 superworms. I need to get her some fruit.

She just shed and I was helping her peel some recessed shed of her tail. She looks better and better each day though.

your welcome :wink: .I'm happy to hear that she is eating again.Some Tegus don't eat fruits or veggies until they are older but it's good to alway keep trying.Do you bulk order your crickets, super worms and roaches ? one thing that you can do if you want to that would help allot is to gut load ( feed them fruits and veggies and some dark green lettuce ) before you feed them to your Tegu.That way she will get some of the nutrients from the live food :wink: .

your welcome :wink: .I'm happy to hear that she is eating again.Some Tegus don't eat fruits or veggies until they are older but it's good to alway keep trying.Do you bulk order your crickets, super worms and roaches ? one thing that you can do if you want to that would help allot is to gut load ( feed them fruits and veggies and some dark green lettuce ) before you feed them to your Tegu.That way she will get some of the nutrients from the live food :wink: .
    Oh yeah, I definitely do that. I raise my own roaches and crickets. I have other herps so it can get expensive buying dollar here, dollar there of crickets, supers, etc. Thanks!

Your welcome.That's cool that you raise your own.I know how you feel we have 8 Reptiles.