Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New to Tegu's

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDragon
    Quote Originally Posted by BMXICAN
    How big should she be by now? I figure a lot bigger... The guy said she was 1 year old and she is about foot and half, maybe a smidge longer. Thanks!
    There is no average size for any age because some of them hibernate for varying lengths of time. If they don't eat, they don't grow. Not being fed when they're awake will restrict their growth too. 1 year old and a foot and a half long does sound very small. Even if he hibernated last winter, there should have been at least 5 months of growth this past summer.
    Thanks DaveDragon! Any suggestions on what to feed her so she "catches up" or entice her to eat? I've read all about cooked eggs, turkey, ground beef, fruits, etc... Anything special to help her out?

Also, she came out today! She is soaking in her bowl. I have the light above the bowl and it keeps the water warm too. Thanks!

I would give her some lean ground turkey with some hard boiled egg.I have noticed that they like to go after things that stink :lol: .Like hard boiled eggs or fish filet ( catfish, salmon, tuna, cod, tilapia /raw at room temps ).If she is going to start eating allot but you still don't see much poop that's ok.It just means that most of the food goes to her body ( gaining wheight ).

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl
    I would give her some lean ground turkey with some hard boiled egg.I have noticed that they like to go after things that stink :lol: .Like hard boiled eggs or fish filet ( catfish, salmon, tuna, cod, tilapia /raw at room temps ).If she is going to start eating allot but you still don't see much poop that's ok.It just means that most of the food goes to her body ( gaining wheight ).
    Sweet! I'll try that out and keep you guys posted. Can't thanks you guys enough!

your welcome.We are glad that we can help :wink: .Thanks for keeping us posted.Does she drink enough water ?

your welcome.We are glad that we can help :wink: .Thanks for keeping us posted.Does she drink enough water ?
    Yesterday she came out for awhile and I caught her drinking a good amount of water. I put a little calcium in her water to help her get some supplements. I usually do this with my geckos as well. Hopefully today when she decides to come out, I'll cook her some breakfast.

I changed my light from a 150W to a 60W halogen bulb. Made the temps go down by a few degrees... It's a constant 75° with her basking spot. Is this too low?

It's good to hear that she is drinking well.The temps on the basking spot need to be between 90 to 110.

It's good to hear that she is drinking well.The temps on the basking spot need to be between 90 to 110.
    I had her in a 2 1/2 foot tank for a few days. Today I finally got her a big 4' x 2' tank. All I have in there is a big water/bathing bowl, mulch/bark and a half wooden log/ hideout. Her basking spot is at 90°+. She looked very happy tonight, happily basking on top of her log.

I moved the water away from the basking spot to the opposite side of the tank. Humidity at 70% to 80%. Hopefully tomorrow I can get her to chow since I was gone all day. Also got her a brand new Reptisun 5.0 36". Tank is 15" high but has about 2" of substrate plus her height should be OK for the 12" bulb UVB reach, right? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BMXICAN
    Also got her a brand new Reptisun 5.0 36". Tank is 15" high but has about 2" of substrate plus her height should be OK for the 12" bulb UVB reach, right? Thanks!
    A little closer probably couldn't hurt. You'd probably be okay though.

May I suggest adding more substrate? They like to dig a lot. I've got probably at least 6" of cypress mulch in my tank
    0.1 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dante)
    1.0 Paraguayan Red Tegu (Azshara)
    0.1 Ball Python [100% Het. Albino] (Persephone)

Florida Death Metal - SledgegrindeR
    www.myspace.com/sledgegrinder

Hey agallegos37, nice to see you back around!

I second the deep substrate, they do love to bury and that would decrease the distance to the UV.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thanks Laura! Yeah my tegus have been hibernating so I haven't had much to post about hehe. I'm hoping they'll wake up soon.
    0.1 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dante)
    1.0 Paraguayan Red Tegu (Azshara)
    0.1 Ball Python [100% Het. Albino] (Persephone)

Florida Death Metal - SledgegrindeR
    www.myspace.com/sledgegrinder