Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NO NOT ARNIE!***** EXTREMELY URGENT FOR ALL FROG KEEPERS***

:( I'm so sorry to hear about Arnie.But I'm sure he will be better in no time because he is in some very good hands :wink: .If you want to you can check out the link below.Good luck with everything.

http://www.thetegu.com/postt127.html

A lot of stuff gets passed around about the "Chytrid" disease that unfortunately doesn't help with things. Chytrid is a class of fungus that has been known for a long, long time. It has never been known to parasitize vertebrates before and now one is parasitizing amphibians. The actual disease species is Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis and what it does is break down the keratin in amphibian skin. Some amphibians it affects more than others, seems correlated to the amount of keratin in the amphibians skin. There have been several treatments that show good result. But as with ANY infection, especially with amphibians, you not only have to treat the animal, you certainly have to treat the enclosure to disinfect it. This will mean getting rid of all organic material in there and using chemical disinfectants on everything else. I would also recommend not being 'cheap' on the treatments. Although there may be rumour that 7 treatments may be enough, it's similar to the 'superbug' bacteria in hospitals. If you don't make sure it's gone, any that survive the treatment may adapt and pass on the resistence, making the fungus more virulent and harder to eliminate.

Yes, chytrid has been around for a long time. I believe the first documented case was in 1930. I have noticed that many people are treating their frogs as a preventative measure. I, personally will only treat if I see any signs of the fungus. Although it is said there are sometimes no signs. I believe if you look close enough and know your frog well enough, you could see some signs.

I treated both tree frogs. However, I did not disinfect the hospital tank after they soaked in the seperate rubber maid container. I did change the paper towels in the hospital tank each time afer they were treated. I also, completely disinfected their old tank, got them a new resin tree, threw away their water dish and thermometers and got them new ones.

I do know that Arnies shedding has slowed down. As I said before, I am not 100% sure that it is or was chytrid. I am actually talking to my vet about getting an actual test done. They are supposed to contact me when they find a lab that tests for chytrid.

Rob