Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: sudden aggression

Default txrepgirl

Hey girl, I sent you a pm.

I got both of them :wink: .Did you get mine ?

Default Re: sudden aggression

Quote Originally Posted by DOUBLE-L
    I am new to the tegu word. In Dec I got a Argentine black & white. She has all of sudden got some aggression. She is hissing,biting and jumping at me. Any ideas why this sudden burst of aggression?
    Hey Double-L It's good to have you here!
    I was looking at pic 3/8 and the half-log that your new baby is sitting on looks like pine. Pine, cedar...all aromatics are unhealthy for your Tegu and should be avoided (just so you know). He's very little right now and it may be that he is responding to an aroma that you're not even noticing.
    Even if that's not the reason for his sudden aggression, it's still a good idea to make sure that he's not in contact with any aromatics, whether it's hides or mulch or whatever. If you know anyone with a firewood pile, you should be able to go over there and pry off a nice bark half-round of oak or some other hardwood. That's what I do, anyway...it's free instead of spending ten bucks and this way, you can get just the size you want. He doesn't need a half log (wood) at this size...a half-round of hardwood bark pried off of a split log of oak will do very well.

Bear in mind too that at 12" he's very tiny...just about everything eats baby Tegus in the wild, so when they're small sometimes they get freaked out over a lot of things...sudden movements and noises, shadows falling over them, etc etc. It's that attitude that allows wild baby Tegus to survive to be big Tegus.
    If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask...very likely someone here will have your answer. Keep us posted!

GMB
    "Be mindful of your thoughts.
    Thoughts crystallize into habit and
    habit solidifies into circumstance."

I was thinking about the hissing/huffing, too. My Colombian still huffs at us. We can hold her, pick her up, pet her, whatever, but she huffs. You can begin to read by her posturing and huffing what kind of mood she's in and what she's trying to communicate.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I don't want to get things heated up but I do not recommend getting wood from outside unless it's from somewhere in the middle of no where.The tree could of been treated for parasites.If you want to you can put a big piece of rock in there ( cleaned with some strong vinegar or bleach and hot water and let it air dry ).That will help with filing down the sharp nails.If you do that please make sure that you don't put the rock ontop of the mulch so the Tegu will not dig underneath the mulch and the rock will hurt him ( I saw a story about that once ).

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl
    I don't want to get things heated up but I do not recommend getting wood from outside unless it's from somewhere in the middle of no where.The tree could of been treated for parasites.If you want to you can put a big piece of rock in there ( cleaned with some strong vinegar or bleach and hot water and let it air dry ).That will help with filing down the sharp nails.If you do that please make sure that you don't put the rock ontop of the mulch so the Tegu will not dig underneath the mulch and the rock will hurt him ( I saw a story about that once ).

Thanks txrepgirl...I think we will just go with a rock for her. She can hide in her mulch.

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl
    Ooops...forgot to mention that...thanks Txrepgirl!
    All outside trimmin's should be sterilized...you don't know where it's been. I wash all my half-rounds in plain hot water and then dry them out in the oven at 200 for half an hour or so. Whew....good thing someone's
    paying attention LOL
    GMB
    "Be mindful of your thoughts.
    Thoughts crystallize into habit and
    habit solidifies into circumstance."

Your welcome DOUBLE-L.

your welcome Greenmanbacchus.Don't feel bad.I have done it before, too.Where I wanted to help someone and forgot to mention something important :wink: .

We found a nice rock for her today and removed the log. Still hissing, biting and whipping. Shes eating pretty good in the new feeding tank(chicken gizzard, livers and mice).. One day at a time :lol:

That's a good way to see it ( one day at a time ).I'm happy to hear that she is eating well in her new feeding bin .Is she hissing or huffing and puffing ? does she whipp you when she has all or some of her feed in the air and they are not being suported by your hand or arm ?