Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sudden aggression

She'll be ok. Being a Colombian, she may not eat fruit. mine won't touch fruit unless it is coated in meat, but I think Angelrose has some that will eat fruit. She has a few Colombians.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thanks laurarfl.. She did eat the fuzzy :lol: and ony one little piece of banana.

Next question.... Should we feed her again today? Since we are feeding her in a separate tote now, we wont know if shes hungry. :

At this age (less than a year, right?) I'd feed her every day. I'd feed her every day as much as she wants, up to about two years, then I go to every other day. At that point, I watch their body size to gauge how much to feed. I like big tegus, but not the fat, obese look.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl
    At this age (less than a year, right?) I'd feed her every day. I'd feed her every day as much as she wants, up to about two years, then I go to every other day. At that point, I watch their body size to gauge how much to feed. I like big tegus, but not the fat, obese look.

Thanks laurarfl.. We think she is only about 7 months now.

Click To Enlarge

Click To Enlarge

We would like to thank everyone who has helped us. Hope to be able to help someone in the future.

Your welcome.Yeap, you got one cute golden columbian Tegu .I'm happy to hear that she ate that well .I'm glad that you would like to stick around and want to help out in the future.Thanks.
    It is recommended ( by what I read before ) to feed a Lizard one hour after it basked or two hours before it goes to sleep.So the metabolism can cick in after that hour and to help process the fool long enough before he/she goes to sleep.I would feed her in the morning and let her eat all she wants and she will be good to go for the day.When she would need some food you can tell by the fold on her stomach ( it's lenght wise on the side of her stomach ).When they are full you don't see the fold or at least not as much.Like on those videos of mine.

On this video you can see the fold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGnHt9qZA6U

On this video you see the plum stomach after she ate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLNsF6MW6j0

Thanks txrepgirl.. I fed her this morning she was basking for a while now shes back under her mulch..
    About how big does a Columbian get :

Your welcome.Sounds like she is doing much better now .I'm sorry that I can't help you about the size info of a columbian Tegu.I do know that they are much smaller than a Argentine Tegu.I think they get to about 3' or 3.5'.I could be wrong about the size.Angelrose can help you with that.She has some columbians.

Mine's full grown and about 3'...long Tail! I'm glad she ate and you guys are getting settled in. I like my Colombian and she's really cool. She's just different than an Argentine.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

Thanks laurarfl & txrepgirl..You have been alot of help. I went today and bought some gloves to wear with her for a while. She just licked them and hissed a little..No biting :o ...Only time will tell..

Your welcome.I'm glad that we could help.It's good to hear that she didn't bite you this time.That's a good start.If you want to you can put a used shirt of you in the enclosure.That way she can smell you and it will help her getting used to you faster.Thanks for keeping us posted.