Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting an Argentine B&W, have some quest

Default Thinking about getting an Argentine B&W, have some quest

First of all, I've read some caresheets that say monitors and tegus don't need a uvb light if you give them a calcium and D3 supplement, is this true? And this probably sounds weird, but for some reason I find males with big jowls grotesque looking. Is the jowl size random, or is it effected by how much fat the tegu has? I'm not talking about starving it or anything, but would keeping it a little on the slim side keep the jowls smaller? I'm thinking about just getting a female, but I've heard that its better to keep a male as a pet because males tend to be somewhat calmer than females and because females can become eggbound. Is this true? And how likely is it that a tegu will try to hibernate? Is there any way you can keep it from hibernating? I'm not sure I want a pet that I can't do anything with for half the year.

Default Re: Thinking about getting an Argentine B&W, have some q

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeFreak
    First of all, I've read some caresheets that say monitors and tegus don't need a uvb light if you give them a calcium and D3 supplement, is this true? And this probably sounds weird, but for some reason I find males with big jowls grotesque looking. Is the jowl size random, or is it effected by how much fat the tegu has? I'm not talking about starving it or anything, but would keeping it a little on the slim side keep the jowls smaller? I'm thinking about just getting a female, but I've heard that its better to keep a male as a pet because males tend to be somewhat calmer than females and because females can become eggbound. Is this true? And how likely is it that a tegu will try to hibernate? Is there any way you can keep it from hibernating? I'm not sure I want a pet that I can't do anything with for half the year.
    Welcome to the site - The tegu will need a uvb light source in addition to calcium and supplements - Males tend to have larger jowels than females and how can you deny a face like that :wink: A young Tegu should be fed all it will eat, however as an adult feedings should be monitored as they can become obese - I believe and have read that males are easier to work with than females "go figure" - No offence to anyone - The tegu's hibernation period in capitivity should be nill to none if you set the conditions right and do not try to stimulate or induce a hibernating environment ...
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Albino"
    1.1.0 Ball Python 100% "Het Albino"
    1.2.0 Ball Python "Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Cinnamon Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Spider"
    0.2.0 Ball Python "Normal"

In addition to Edges post, there is a lot of controversy surrounding the use of UVB and you will read a lot of conflicting accounts. Technically, if the D3 supplementation is exact to the animals needs it doesnt need UVB, but a lack will result in deficiencies with dire consequences, and over supplementation can poison the animal. Im not sure there is even a precise chart for any reptile that dictates how much D3 it needs - which is why UVB and calcium supplementation is offered to lizards kept indoors to allow them to synthesise exactly what they need (rather than us bungling humans trying to guess for them ) Also, a diet with plenty of adults rodents and insects/fruits/veg etc should provide all the necessary vits. However, I personally use a UVB tube in my viv to be safe, and offer a multivit supplement once a week.

I would definitely recommend a UVB source for a baby tegu, which has a lot of growing to do and in which MBD may quickly develop. They also brighten up the cage nicely to stimulate activity.

Default ? on this topic

I have a 12 year old son that has had a bull frog now for 3 years, he got it as a tadpole so he has proven himself with commitment. He has been doing much research on Armadillo reptiles and a black and white tegu.
    My question is in regards to picking the best rep. Everyone that we talk with wants to sell us the lizard that they seem to be having a hard time getting rid of. We are looking for a lizard that will be interesting enough to want to spend time with and yet mild mannered enough to be able to.
    I am getting mixed reviews. can someone offer some advice before we make the purchase?

Default Re: ? on this topic

Quote Originally Posted by cynthia
    I have a 12 year old son that has had a bull frog now for 3 years, he got it as a tadpole so he has proven himself with commitment. He has been doing much research on Armadillo reptiles and a black and white tegu.
    My question is in regards to picking the best rep. Everyone that we talk with wants to sell us the lizard that they seem to be having a hard time getting rid of. We are looking for a lizard that will be interesting enough to want to spend time with and yet mild mannered enough to be able to.
    I am getting mixed reviews. can someone offer some advice before we make the purchase?
    Welcome to thetegu - If you decide to go with the Tegu, I would suggest the Argentine B&W Tegu - If you have not already checked in "Helpful Info", there is good info to distinguish this from the Colombian Black Tegu which some people sell as a "Black & White Tegu" - They are quite different in temperment - I believe you have found one of the most informative Tegu forums here for answers or info you may be seeking - Good luck with your decision ...

thank you. They said it is a pair of columbian black and white Tegu..
    I will check it out though. We want the smaller and more calm option if that is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by cynthia
    thank you. They said it is a pair of columbian black and white Tegu..
    I will check it out though. We want the smaller and more calm option if that is possible.
    There may lie the problem - The Argentine may grow to 4-4.5 feet, while the Colombian may only grow to 3-3.5 feet, however the Argentine by far will be easier to work with than the Colombians - Some claim to have a mild mannered Colombians - "Not Me", but for the most part the Argentines are much more likely to be tamed as they seem to enjoy human contact more in my opinion ...

wow.

we may need to find something that maxes out at around 24 inches or so. The Tegu seems like a bit more than I am ready for - after reading more on their size. Other than that ... I am jealous. We are meeting with a breeder tomorrow. He may have some other ideas too...
    Thanks Cynthia

Something more like Bearded Dragon size would maybe be more suitable then.

They max out at around 24-30" I believe, and have a fairly mild manner.

A big beardie may max out to around 24" - and they are very easy to make friends with :wink: