Thread: Nice Tegu care sheet by the late Bert Langerwerf

Default Nice Tegu care sheet by the late Bert Langerwerf

Here's the link. Bert was an expert tegu guy for those who don't know who he is. If tegus in captivity in America had a champion Bert was it.

http://www.reptileallsorts.com/black-white-tegus.htm

Agree! This is a very good care sheet but not about the cat food or bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelrose
    Agree! This is a very good care sheet but not about the cat food or bread.
    Oddly enough Bert used to say something like 'the tegus will tell you what they want and what they don't'. I wouldn't feed my animals bread, and cat food only in wet form if I was desparate and had nothing else.

I don't recommend feeding the bread either because of the yeast in it.I don't like giving my Tegus any Dog food either but sometimes when I forget to put up the dry dog food ( Nutro Max ) Leonidas and Zeus will take a few bites but not very often.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl
    I don't recommend feeding the bread either because of the yeast in it.I don't like giving my Tegus any Dog food either but sometimes when I forget to put up the dry dog food ( Nutro Max ) Leonidas and Zeus will take a few bites but not very often.
    All of Berts tegus were kept outside all year. They were essentially wild tegus, and he had a close to a hundred adult animals between the reds, and the Arg BW's. Why he allowed them to eat bread I can't understand. There was also rumor that they would eat pepporoni pizza!

I never met Bert and I highly respect the work he did. I get the impression he was very interesting and sometimes had to do things that were a matter of convenience since he had so many animals on his farm. They say in the beginning he went dumpster diving for old produce and such. I think he just kinda did whatever it took to keep his animals, y'know.

As for the pepperoni pizza...who knows, I fed my tegus a CheezIt cracker last weekend. My husband was eating the parmesan cheese kind and I was outside on the porch with the tegus. He handed me some because he didn't want me to stick my tegu hands in the box. One dropped on the ground and we had a little bet to see if any of the tegus would eat it. The B/W licked at it and walked on, but the red decided it was yummy.

Now I don't advocate feeding crackers and pizza to tegus, but maybe Bert wanted to see if they would eat it, lol!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Actually Bert got day old produce from his local supermarket. I do the same for my tortoises because they are expensive to feed, and the day old stuff is for the most part in great shape. You can pick and choose, and a lot of it is high quality. Though the best thing for a tortoise is really just weeds, and grass.

Anyway, this stuff works for the tegus as well. I'm very excited to have all three of my tegus eating a lot of plant foods.

:lol: pizza.I would be to worried bringing any bacterias home from touching the dirty dumpsters.I don't want any of my animals to get sick.I don't even feed my dogs table food unless my boyfriend drops something and I'm not fast enough to pick it up of the floor :lol: .I have heard that Tegus eat nuts.I'm wondering what kind.I wouldn't mind trying that.Put them in a chopper and mix it with the meat.Great now I'm hungry :lol: .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

GOT_TEGUS01 Guest

Default langerwerf

Bert RIP The poineer and the one person that gave us tupinambis to the Herp hobby and many others. he was a great friend to me and many others.