Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So what do you actually feed your tegus?

Default So what do you actually feed your tegus?

This is probably been done to death, but I was wondering what people actually feed their tegus? What species of tegu do you have, and what have you been feeding your species of tegu and why?

I have two black and white Argentinian tegus, and one red (rufruscens). All get whole meat based foods like mice, and rats. I also feed them a 'salad' mixed with berries, various chards, romaine, and ground turkey along with tuna fish in oil(for shedding, and digestion).

I'd drop the chard, it's extremely high in oxalic acids.

I'm still new to tegus, but my adopted Argentine B&W adult gets whole vertebrates (chicks and mice) - being a monitor owner I find it hard to get around the idea of non-whole foods (like turkey mince and chicken breasts etc) but it seems many tegu owners feed these things successfully.

Mine apparently didn't like his fruits apart from the odd grape - but I've managed to get him onto all different types of fruits - normal and exotic - he absolutely adores mango and if he can get hold of it a whole sharon fruit - which then explodes all over the place :lol:

The only veg I've managed so far is orange pepper - but I'm going to try more - maybe "dragon food" like pak choi and chinese leaf would be good? How about whole oily fish like mackerel - is that OK?

I know it's off topic- you said you have a monitor, what kind?
    I have an Ornate and Black Throat. With that said, my freezer is full of mice and rats!

I used to have a sav but now have just an ackie. Oooh - an ornate - I'd love one of those ! If only room wasn't an issue :( Another monitor I love is argus - they are so active.

Hello eradi...You have an ornate nile monitor?? Please post pics. I would love to see it..

Rob

I have pix in my gallery but that module isn't working...?
    I'll have to try to find a way to post some. She's a pretty girl

HI eradi, I'm sorry the gallery isn't working as of now. In the meantime you can upload them from your computer into Photobucket and than copy and paste the img onto the post ....if you like.

I just pm Rick about the Photo Gallery and the chat section.

Hi eradi.Long time no see.I hope all is well.It's nice to hear that you kept her :wink: .

I don't recomend feeding anything out of a can.Like tuna with oil because they put allot of preservatives into the cans that is not good for the Tegu.If you want to you can buy some fresh Tuna ( without groath hormones ) and put just a little bit of cod liver oil on it.When it comes to fruits I just give them sweet one.Blue berries,straw berries, banana ( just sometimes because they are high in potasium ), mango, melons.Sometimes they eat some spring mix salad.When it comes to fish I give them fresh fish filets.Salmon, tuna, catfish, cod and tilapia.Meats.I give them lean ground turkey, chicken breast, chicken hearts and gizzards and rats f/t.I also give them some hard boiled eggs sometimes.I hope I didn't forget anything.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thanks Angelrose! I will try that over the weekend.
    I would also like to post some recent pix of the Black Throat I took in
    as a rescue last fall. He is over 25#'s now. His status went from "foster" to "resident" - funny how that happens...

Hello txrepgirl, nice to hear from you!

Have a good weekend everybody!

eradi