Thread: lizard city

Default lizard city

i want to go take a trip to a place that as lot of different lizard and snake but not sure where to go ....where could i go and do this but id like to see some monitor and of course where is he the place i would find some big tegu....i got an argentine tegu so i guess i would be there i would find them but are the lots of lizard in this area to??? thx any info will help

Default Re: lizard city

Quote Originally Posted by jeanguythetegu
    i want to go take a trip to a place that as lot of different lizard and snake but not sure where to go ....where could i go and do this but id like to see some monitor and of course where is he the place i would find some big tegu....i got an argentine tegu so i guess i would be there i would find them but are the lots of lizard in this area to??? thx any info will help
    You aren't going to be able to go to any one country and find monitors and tegus. Monitors are the old world 'tegus' in a manner of speaking. They fill the niche, or rather tegus fill the niche in the ecosystem of the large tropical monitors for the most part. Large powerful omnivores.

If I wanted to see large lizards in the wild, I'd go nowhere else aside from the Isles of Komodo. Of course that is a dream vacation. The truth is that large lizards are somewhat difficult to locate in the wild, but there are groups that speciliaze in taking people on tours where there are wild animals specifically for the group in question. Punch in "Greentracks" in Google, and see what you come up with. I believe they go to South America all the time. French Guyana, Peru, and such.

thx alot great link

I'm glad that helped. I've been wanting to go for a long time. My friend did a lot of research in French Guyana on some of the tarantula species there. Good stuff. Let me know if you go. I also believe the company that makes terrarium stuff, "Exo-Terra" also goes to tropical and exotic places, and takes people with them for a small sum. You could check that out on their website I think.